website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News

9 hours ago, opruh said:

Oh really, when will the us media start condemning themselves for supporting the ongoing genocide in yemen along with other countries like saudi, uk and france?

Fun fact: I first learned of the ongoing atrocities in Yemen from... US media.

2 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Yemen's support for Saddam Hussein during the Persian Gulf War made them a complete pariah in the world's geopolitics :dunno: The civil war goes on there for over 25 years tbh. No wonder the so-called West doesn't give a damn about them.

On 19/07/2020 at 01:17, NearPup said:

Does this fun fact magically stops the us government from being complicit  in committing war crimes in Yemen by continuously supplying weapons to and and supporting Saudi Arabia. 

Fun fact: I first learned of the ongoing atrocities in Yemen from... non-western media. :mumble:

• 1 month later...

You have to wonder how Covid will impact these Games. I’m not talking about the pandemic itself being a problem during the Games (at least I hope not), but about the indirect effects of the pandemic. I could be wrong, but I think most athletes generally use the season before the Games to really start building their campaign towards the Games. With all the events being somewhat disrupted or cancelled this season, it will be interesting to see what the effects our on athletes.

Curling will already feel the impacts with the World Championships being “do or die” this year in terms of qualification. 

Figure skaters will be hard pressed too, with the Grand Prix being held in a watered down form. There’s possibility of skaters having to show up to the World Championships with very little competition experience under them. 

Of course Biathletes stand to lose the most. This season is arguably the most important for them in terms of qualification. If events are cancelled, postponed, etc. it could wreak havoc on the qualification process.

I think the skiers might get lucky since their events are mostly outdoors, and don’t require too large of a group of people to go forward with competition. Bobsleigh and Luge might be able to get away with competitions as well if they have a solid Covid plan.

These are just some thoughts that have been creeping around in the back of my mind for a while now. I thought I’d share them to see what y’all think about all this.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 1 month later...

Track looks like if the Sochi and Pyeongchang tracks had a baby.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG0IgieHtB-/?igshid=zg6i7g7zl4kb

It also looks like it’s completely enclosed and basically protected from any weather.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

13 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Track looks like if the Sochi and Pyeongchang tracks had a baby.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG0IgieHtB-/?igshid=zg6i7g7zl4kb

It also looks like it’s completely enclosed and basically protected from any weather.

Totally have no idea there is a testing event tomorrow and I even don't know the construction is finished! And I do keep tracking the sports news from state media and I am sure it's never reported. 

4 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Totally have no idea there is a testing event tomorrow and I even don't know the construction is finished! And I do keep tracking the sports news from state media and I am sure it's never reported. 

The FIL has been very good at giving updates and sharing articles on Instagram/Facebook. I’d seen the early renders of the venue, but I didn’t know what to expect. There were some construction updates and photos here and there, but this is the first real good look at the venue. I hope they share some more photos this week. Both the FIL/IBSF are conducting pre-homologation (test runs/safety certification) this week. First runs are tomorrow I believe.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

The FIL has been very good at giving updates and sharing articles on Instagram/Facebook. I’d seen the early renders of the venue, but I didn’t know what to expect. There were some construction updates and photos here and there, but this is the first real good look at the venue. I hope they share some more photos this week. Both the FIL/IBSF are conducting pre-homologation (test runs/safety certification) this week. First runs are tomorrow I believe.

Good to know the update. The track seems still not fully finished yet. At least the decoration part hasn't finished I guess and it looks quite "ugly and dirty". I will go there watch testing events once it opens for public. But it's unlikely to happen this year due to the pandemic.