website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Approved by whom, exactly? Because these four hubs don't seem to be Chinese government mandated or something, but specifically for the Olympics. I can imagine for example the IOC/organizers have people at those four hubs to perform certain pre-checks or something.

By the Orangizing Committe I would assume. 

23 minutes ago, intoronto said:

By the Orangizing Committe I would assume. 

Interesting, I wouldn't have expected there to be a total of four approved airports one day (because the information about four airports being allowed was shared only two days ago), and a huge list of others not two days later :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

37 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

I hope Kazakhstan will send their athletes to Beijing.

And remember Almaty bid lost to Beijing by a very slim margine: 40-44.

So everybody could be just preparing to go there right now...

Kazakhstan should have been selected.

And I highly doubt there would have been any riots now if they had got selected. The IOC takes some of the blame here. :p

#banbestmen

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Interesting, I wouldn't have expected there to be a total of four approved airports one day (because the information about four airports being allowed was shared only two days ago), and a huge list of others not two days later :p 

My information is from end of December and is directly from the OC.

15 minutes ago, dcro said:

Kazakhstan should have been selected.

And I highly doubt there would have been any riots now if they had got selected. The IOC takes some of the blame here. :p

No, Oslo should have been selected.  But the IOC and their miles long list of demands scared them off.  The IOC deserves all of the blame here for that.  Plus, it's not like the situation in Kazakhstan is that great right now.  Obviously almost anything would be preferable to China, but that wouldn't have been a much better option

20 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

No, Oslo should have been selected.  But the IOC and their miles long list of demands scared them off.  The IOC deserves all of the blame here for that.  Plus, it's not like the situation in Kazakhstan is that great right now.  Obviously almost anything would be preferable to China, but that wouldn't have been a much better option

Almaty is the one who put in a good bid. Probably the last good bid for the Winter Olympics.

Oslo did nothing.

#banbestmen

36 minutes ago, dcro said:

Almaty is the one who put in a good bid. Probably the last good bid for the Winter Olympics.

Oslo did nothing.

If Oslo had stuck around and was in the final vote, they would have beaten Almaty running away with it.  Almaty had a very good bid which is why they came so close to beating Beijing, but it's still in a smallish Central Asian country that is dealing with political issues right now.