website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News

3 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Good to know the update. The track seems still not fully finished yet. At least the decoration part hasn't finished I guess and it looks quite "ugly and dirty". I will go there watch testing events once it opens for public. But it's unlikely to happen this year due to the pandemic.

Typical of any venue. Generally venue decoration/branding doesn’t go up until only a few months before the Games. I think there’s still some minor construction to be done, but I haven’t found Bobsleigh tracks to be works of beauty. 

Yeah, I’d imagine there won’t be any public events this season.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

48 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Good to know the update. The track seems still not fully finished yet. At least the decoration part hasn't finished I guess and it looks quite "ugly and dirty". I will go there watch testing events once it opens for public. But it's unlikely to happen this year due to the pandemic.

Sliding venues (other than exactly St Moritz) aren’t exactly known for looking nice tbh. They all have an industrial look to them.

2 hours ago, dcro said:

One wonders if even the homologation is complete. Probably not.

Well being that pre-homologation starts tomorrow, I’d imagine not. I don’t think they’re terribly behind schedule though. The FIL/IBSF and the sliders themselves haven’t seemed worried. I think the process was supposed to start this spring, but obviously Covid made that impossible.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Hopeful we’ll be able to see some video from the first runs tomorrow, so we can really start to analyze the track. There’s a couple of sections I’m very interested in after seeing the photos posted by the FIL today.

Short clip from one of two sections that really stood out to me from the pictures shared yesterday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG24onBIIfE/?igshid=f5odb830k979

Someone traveling with the Latvian delegation posted a bunch of photos yesterday. Besides that section I shared, this is the other section that really caught my eye:

6C17A6B9-1413-4512-AFF8-ED04F812AD93.jpeg

It looks almost like some type of prolonged corner or modified “bend away” in this photo.

The original sketches and renders of this track made seem really simple, but I like what I’ve been able to see so far. It’s so hard to judge from photos though. Just let me see a full damn run already!

10 hours ago, intoronto said:

Some scheduling news:

-Short track will go up to 6 competition days from 5

-There will be a day -2 (day -1 was the earliest in 2018), this day will just have mixed doubles round robin in curling

More days the better!  :cheer:

On 30/10/2020 at 17:45, intoronto said:

Some scheduling news:

-Short track will go up to 6 competition days from 5

-There will be a day -2 (day -1 was the earliest in 2018), this day will just have mixed doubles round robin in curling

I like both those changes. Short track was always too crowded for the athletes, adding the mixed relay was going to make that even worse. And two more days of curling without anything else going on? Fun way to start.