website statistics

Great Britain National Thread

uk12points

May I suggest  GB would be wiser to spend it's sports money on increasing actual sport participation and provide sporting facilities for schools .

I have long been struck by how obese so many Brits of all ages are 

I know in Australia there was a big debate whether to spend money on elite performers or on mass participation especially junior sport .

Most people preferred subsidising junior sport and especially sports that people actually do -and prefer  ( few of which are the traditional mainstream Olympic sports )

I mean GB and winter sports !! Are there any ski resorts in the UK ? ( I've spent time in the UK and skiing was always a foreign holiday thing -not a serious sport )

Remember the Olympics are two weeks every four years 

Mind you just about everything in the UK is about looking after elites and always has been  ( and before you complain this is not uncommon in many places )

Sounds like a bread and circuses scheme to keep the lumpen proletariat sitting on their big arses  on their comfy sofas  eating and drinking watching  their betters on TV and jingo nationalism 

Meanwhile the UK is close to topping the death rate per capita of the corona virus . So many unhealthy people .

2 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

Not so much if you were you were a native or African American! Anyway judging by your current POTUS you guys seem to be quite keen on tyrants these days with the possible exception of Chinese ones. In any event have a great day and take care with the celebrations given current circumstances.

Oh believe me, I’m not a fan of anything currently going on my country. I’m not celebrating Independence Day this year. We don’t deserve to be celebrated at the moment.

I just wanted to troll the Brits :d

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, rajiv said:

May I suggest  GB would be wiser to spend it's sports money on increasing actual sport participation and provide sporting facilities for schools .

I have long been struck by how obese so many Brits of all ages are 

I know in Australia there was a big debate whether to spend money on elite performers or on mass participation especially junior sport .

Most people preferred subsidising junior sport and especially sports that people actually do -and prefer  ( few of which are the traditional mainstream Olympic sports )

I mean GB and winter sports !! Are there any ski resorts in the UK ? ( I've spent time in the UK and skiing was always a foreign holiday thing -not a serious sport )

Remember the Olympics are two weeks every four years 

Mind you just about everything in the UK is about looking after elites and always has been  ( and before you complain this is not uncommon in many places )

Sounds like a bread and circuses scheme to keep the lumpen proletariat sitting on their big arses  on their comfy sofas  eating and drinking watching  their betters on TV and jingo nationalism 

Meanwhile the UK is close to topping the death rate per capita of the corona virus . So many unhealthy people .

A simple google search would show there are many ski resorts/courses in the Uk. Its serious enough of a sport, that it won the same amount of medals India won in Rio, an event with more than double the events. I would focus on your country first, arguably the worst sporting nation, before commenting on others. 

• 11 months later...

https://www.eurosport.com/olympics/tokyo-2020/2020/tokyo-2020-gold-for-laura-muir-double-silver-for-dina-asher-smith-predictions-for-team-gb_sto8223701/story.shtml

This would precipitate quite a funding drop for Paris and LA - it will be quite a challenging decade for athletes having to try and get more private funding after 25 years of Lottery funding being the main source. 

18 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

https://www.eurosport.com/olympics/tokyo-2020/2020/tokyo-2020-gold-for-laura-muir-double-silver-for-dina-asher-smith-predictions-for-team-gb_sto8223701/story.shtml

This would precipitate quite a funding drop for Paris and LA - it will be quite a challenging decade for athletes having to try and get more private funding after 25 years of Lottery funding being the main source. 

I think all the signals we’re getting at the moment is that Tokyo is not really going to count as far as long-term funding decisions are concerned.

3 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

I think all the signals we’re getting at the moment is that Tokyo is not really going to count as far as long-term funding decisions are concerned.

I think that depends on what the press and public’s mood is after the Olympics.