website statistics

Great Britain National Thread

uk12points

Laugher and Daley will have to go very well in their individual events to get Diving the three medals it won in 2016. Daley feels the more likely of the two to get an individual medal as he showed he is in great form when Laugher didn’t today.  

Swimming (won 6), Equestrian (won 3 in Rio) or Modern Pentathlon (won none) look the only events that stand a reasonable chance improve their total medal performance from Rio. Even through Boxing only won 3 in Rio I am not sure they going to win 4 or more at all. 

Another fourth place. Rugby really needed that medal because the squad has no real support and qualification for Paris looks deeply uncertain. All these fourths must be worrying UK Sport because not getting 45 medals will put them in the firing line as it’s their target - cycling  needs a good turn because Athletics will be poor (I can’t rule out a total medal shutout and gold less for the first time since Atlanta is the most likely outcome) and those two events will dominate week 2’s coverage so the narrative of the games in terms of broadcasting and perception might turn from British Success to British Failure. 

8 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Another fourth place. Rugby really needed that medal because the squad has no real support and qualification for Paris looks deeply uncertain. All these fourths must be worrying UK Sport because not getting 45 medals will put them in the firing line as it’s their target - cycling  needs a good turn because Athletics will be poor (I can’t rule out a total medal shutout and gold less for the first time since Atlanta is the most likely outcome) and those two events will dominate week 2’s coverage so the narrative of the games in terms of broadcasting and perception might turn from British Success to British Failure. 

We should have an all league line-up for Paris, they'd do way better than this lot. We've been quite lucky to even get to the Bronze match, US should've beat us.

2 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

Doesn’t look like any medal coming in Diving. No way is 45-51 medals being reached. Should be able to beat Sydney and Athens hopefully. 

It's still only Day 5, we've got plenty of time to reach that target. Some of our best events are yet to come.

7 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

It's still only Day 5, we've got plenty of time to reach that target. Some of our best events are yet to come.

Maybe. I can see another two or three medals in Equestrian. A few in sailing. A few more in boxing. A few more in Swimming. Maybe one more in Diving. Canoeing a medal or two.  Who knows with Gymnastics or Moden Pentathlon. Cycling maybe 3-5 if they saying they not hitting rock bottom. That will get past Athens and Atlanta but getting to 45 will be tough as Athletics could be embarrassing and the medals lost from Gymnastics, Athletics, rowing, tennis,

and probably Rugby and Hockey combined effectively lowers from Rio to 45 anyway.

Sailing latest

Men

RS:X                5th       9/12 races

Laser              8th       6/10

Finn                4th       4/10

470                 4th       2/10

49er                1st       4/12

Women

RS:X                1st        9/12

Laser Radial    12th     6/10

470                  3rd       3/10

49erFX            1st        6/12

Mixed

Nacra              4th       3/12

I haven't included the medal race in the race totals.

Early stages in some classes but seven out of ten  "boats" are currently occupying top four places and another is in 5th. All have a chance of making the medal races.

PS Another sport where we could improve on Rio's medal total.

15 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Not really worth speculating on sports that haven’t started yet. Could be rubbish like rowing, sensational like swimming.

The build up to Athletics points more towards a rowing level of performance. Cycling is more unpredictable due to GB having a long history of only being at their best at the Olympics but their build up performance is related then that will be more like the Rowing as well.

4 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Not really worth speculating on sports that haven’t started yet. Could be rubbish like rowing, sensational like swimming.

I suggest we leave judgement on rowing until the competition is over. We still may end up with only one fewer medal than last time and even that might have been avoided but for the steering of the men's four. Add in a number of fourth places and the outcomes might be seen as not unreasonable given that more than eighty percent of the rowing squad were making their Olympic debuts. Having said that I'd like to know what went wrong with the coaching and crew of the women's eight over the past few months.