website statistics

Great Britain National Thread

uk12points

23 minutes ago, Quasit said:

Maybe I did underestimate them but mainly because I expected more from Mexico, hence why I wouldn't have been disappointed with 4th place.

Guy on the other hand showed he can go sub 1:45 last night. Adding everything together (200m ind. + relay), only Haas (1:44,14) and Sun (winning time in 200m of 1:44,65) were faster. It could have been bronze so I stick with what I've said, he disappointed in the individual final.

You're right but I have hoped for medals from as many different sports as possible. In fencing, Kruse has that amazing opportunity. In the team, I don't know. They will face Russia in the QF and in my opinion, the women's rugby sevens team has a better shot than the men but let's see.

Of course we will have to wait for the flagship events (rowing, track cycling, sailing) but I don't think the many golds in track cycling and athletics will be repeated, which is why especially golds have to come from elsewhere too to compensate.

I understand where you are coming from but regretting that 4th and 5th places weren't turned into medals is the way to insanity, especially as the margins are so small. We are not going to win as many medals as 2012 and the main fall off will be in golds. We will see a fall off in some sports in numbers and/or colour but we will likely see an improvement in others, e.g. swimming, diving, shooting and possibly athletics. 

Day 5 Finals

Canoeing (Slalom) - Men's K-1

:GBR Joseph Clarke

After Florence's bad final run yesterday, I hope for a better performance from Clarke today. Medal contender, yes, but unpredictable event so I'll leave it at that.

Cycling - Women's Road Time Trial

:GBR Emma Pooley

2008 silver medalist and 2010 world champion. No idea what to expect from her now after her comeback, favourites are others. Some give her a shot at a medal but I don't know enough about women's cycling, to be honest. Hoping for a good performance, of course.

Cycling - Men's Road Time Trial

:GBR Chris Froome

:GBR Geraint Thomas

Froome as one of the main favourites. I'll make this short: I'm hoping for him to be Wiggin's successor and win the gold.

Diving - Men's Synchronised 3m Springboard

:GBR Jack Laugher

:GBR Chris Mears

This time a bit more optimistic about a podium finish. 2015 worlds bronze medalists and 2016 European champs so they don't have to fear any duo (except the Chinese, of course :d).

Fencing - Women's Individual Foil

no British participation

Fencing - Men's Individual Sabre

no British participation

Gymnastics (Artistic) - Men's Individual All-Around

:GBR Max Whitlock

:GBR Nile Wilson

Wilson and Whitlock qualified as 5th and 12. If they can repeat that, it'd be a success. Their best chance is still half a week ahead of them.

Judo - Women's -70kg

:GBR Sally Conway

Miled :TUN, Émane :FRA and Bolder :ISR/Kim :KOR are her opponents in her bracket. She should win her first bout but Émane will be too strong for her.

Judo - Men's -90kg

no British participation

Rowing - Women's Quadruple Sculls

no British participation

Rowing - Men's Quadruple Sculls

:GBR Jack Beaumont

:GBR Angus Groom

:GBR Peter Lambert

:GBR Sam Townsend

Not GB's strongest boat right now. I wouldn't dismiss their chances but I don't think they can go for a medal here. The goal is not finishing 6th then.

Shooting - Men's 50m Pistol

no British participation

Shooting - Men's Double Trap

:GBR Tim Kneale

:GBR Steven Scott

Kneale has a chance if he can make it into the semis. Current vice-world champion in this event but I expect a very strong field here today.

Swimming - Women's 200m Butterfly

no British participation

Swimming - Women's 4x200m Freestyle Relay

:GBR Jazmin Carlin

:GBR Georgia Coates

:GBR Eleanor Faulkner

:GBR Camilla Hattersley

Making it into the final is the minimum and then we'll see. Around 5th-7th, I'd say.

Swimming - Men's 100m Freestyle

:GBR Duncan Scott

Good work making it into the final here. 5th-8th is realistic.

Swimming - Men's 200m Breaststroke

:GBR Andrew Willis

Showed a very good performance in the semifinal and can go for a medal here. He will have to perform at his best though.

Table Tennis - Women's Singles

no British participation

Weightlifting - Women's -69kg

:GBR Rebekah Tiler

Starts in the B Group and improving on her personal best would be a success.

Weightlifting - Men's -77kg

no British participation

optimistic shot on medals 6
reasonable shot on medals 3
Edited by Quasit

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

8 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

I understand where you are coming from but regretting that 4th and 5th places weren't turned into medals is the way to insanity, especially as the margins are so small. We are not going to win as many medals as 2012 and the main fall off will be in golds. We will see a fall off in some sports in numbers and/or colour but we will likely see an improvement in others, e.g. swimming, diving, shooting and possibly athletics. 

Well, turned out to be the best day yet. :)

I gave Conway no chance and she has just won bronze. If not fencing, then judo. :d

This is all important for future funding, that's why.

11 hours ago, Quasit said:

Glad you're happier today, Quasit! 3-3-6 with hopefully a medal for Andrew Willis to add later tonight against 2-3-4 in London at the end of day 5. Starts getting a bit harder from tomorrow but I think we'll still be ahead of the game at the end of day 6. Apart from the medallists there were also good perfromances from the men's rugby 7s team - into the semi-finals - and the women's hockey team both of which maintained their 100% records.

10 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

Glad you're happier today, Quasit! 3-3-6 with hopefully a medal for Andrew Willis to add later tonight against 2-3-4 in London at the end of day 5. Starts getting a bit harder from tomorrow but I think we'll still be ahead of the game at the end of day 6. Apart from the medallists there were also good perfromances from the men's rugby 7s team - into the semi-finals - and the women's hockey team both of which maintained their 100% records.

Thanks, I can be quite pessimistic and emotional. :d

Yes, those teams look good too and one team sports medal would be amazing too since we have nothing in handball, volleyball, basketball etc.

Admittedly, today was GB's lucky day, after Froome I did not expect a gold today.

21 minutes ago, Quasit said:

Thanks, I can be quite pessimistic and emotional. :d

Yes, those teams look good too and one team sports medal would be amazing too since we have nothing in handball, volleyball, basketball etc.

Admittedly, today was GB's lucky day, after Froome I did not expect a gold today.

The athletes would argue that it was down to hard work rather than luck! I didn't expect rather than hope that any of them would win medals but all those who did were among those I had identified as being capable of doing so - I tried to identify a hundred medal possibilities before the Games on the basis that around 50% succeed. For instance both Scott and Kneale have won WC medals in double trap in the past two years and were well capable of success here.

8 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

The athletes would argue that it was down to hard work rather than luck! I didn't expect rather than hope that any of them would win medals but all those who did were among those I had identified as being capable of doing so - I tried to identify a hundred medal possibilities before the Games on the basis that around 50% succeed. For instance both Scott and Kneale have won WC medals in double trap in the past two years and were well capable of success here.

Can't deny they worked hard, of course, but you don't beat China in diving every day. And yes, two shooting medals are great, though slightly bittersweet because Kneale and Scott shot better in the bronze medal match than the two finalists. :yes

Team GB medals after Day 5

Rank Gold Silver Bronze Total
9 3 3 6 12

Two golds and four bronzes, so far the best day for Team GB. :yes

Diving of course being the biggest surprise and a bronze by Conway couldn't be expected either. Froome did okay, Cancellara couldn't be beaten yesterday. Whitlock did a great job scoring better than the Russian, American and Chinese gymnasts and he should now also be the favourite in pommel horse. Clarke won his first major title, he has won medals in the non-Olympic team events before. In the end, Willis couldn't win a medal, Balandin and Chupkov really surprised the favourites in the 200m breast.

Keep it up!

Day 6 Finals

Archery - Women's Individual

:GBR Naomi Folkard

She did well in the R64 and R32. Archery is unpredictable so let's see what happens.

Canoeing (Slalom) - Women's K-1

:GBR Fiona Pennie

Showed a good performance in the qualification. She's experienced enough to adapt to the change of the course and she can put up a good fight with the favourites. A bronze is possible.

Canoeing (Slalom) - Men's C-2

:GBR David Florence

:GBR Richard Hounslow

Florence has to forget about C-1 and keep focused on his final race in Rio with his partner. Landing on the podium again as they did in London is possible too.

Cycling (Track) - Men's Team Sprint

:GBR Philip Hindes

:GBR Jason Kenny

:GBR Callum Skinner

The track events start but I don't see them as medal contenders in men's team sprint. There are stronger teams here but I don't dismiss them either as GB usually focuses on the Olympics in this sport. Just saying I wouldn't be disappointed or surprised with no medal here. :d

Fencing - Women's Team Épée

no British participation

Gymnastics (Artistic) - Women's Individual All-Around

:GBR Ellie Downie

Finished 20th in the qualification; should improve on her floor exercise and do a couple of places better in the final.

Judo - Women's -78kg

:GBR Nathalie Powell

Up against Mazouz :GAB in her first bout which she should win and then the big match against Tcheuméo :FRA or Sol :PRK. Capable of making it to the semis but I see the French and the Korean as the favs here.

Judo - Men's -100kg

:GBR Benjamin Fletcher

He's the underdog against the experienced Gviniashvili :GEO so I think he'll go out against the Georgian.

Rowing - Women's Quadruple Sculls (re-scheduled)

no British participation

Rowing - Women's Double Sculls

:GBR Katherine Grainger

:GBR Victoria Thornley

Grainger, the 2012 Olympic champion, now rowing together with Thornley and they have very good chances for a medal. Should be a tough fight with the Polish boat.

Rowing - Men's Quadruple Sculls (re-scheduled)

:GBR Jack Beaumont

:GBR Angus Groom

:GBR Peter Lambert

:GBR Sam Townsend

Not GB's strongest boat right now. I wouldn't dismiss their chances but I don't think they can go for a medal here. The goal is not finishing 6th then.

Rowing - Men's Pair

:GBR Stewart Innes

:GBR Alan Sinclair

Will be difficult for a medal. Hamish/Bond :NZL will surely be ahead of them and then we have strong boats from :AUS, :FRA and :ITA. I can't say what to expect from them.

Rowing - Men's Double Sculls

:GBR John Collins

:GBR Jonathan Walton

Another boat I don't think has a shot at a medal. They went through the repechage and did a good job making it to the final.

Rowing - Men's Lightweight Four

no British participation

Rugby Sevens - Men's Tournament

Tough. They won all matches in the qualification and a very open QF against Argentina but now South Africa will be difficult to play against. Let's assume they lose against :RSA, the bronze medal match would be between :FIJ or :JPN. Fiji have played amazingly so far and against Japan it was a close match in the group stage. Everything can go wrong here but I hope for a medal.

Shooting - Women's 50m Rifle 3 Positions

:GBR Jennifer McIntosh

Shot very well in her first event and I hope she does well again here. Maybe even chances for making the final here.

Swimming - Women's 100m Freestyle

no British participation

Swimming - Women's 200m Breaststroke

:GBR Molly Renshaw

:GBR Chloe Tutton

This should be an interesting, open final, if we look at the semifinal results. Some finalists should be able to improve on their times but I give Renshaw and Tutton a shot at bronze.

Swimming - Men's 200m Backstroke

no British participation

Swimming - Men's 200m Individual Medley

:GBR Dan Wallace

Made it to the final but others will be too strong. 5th-6th place, I think.

Table Tennis - Men's Singles

no British participation

optimistic shot on medals 6
reasonable shot on medals 2

Team GB medals after Day 6

Rank Gold Silver Bronze Total
8 4 6 6 16

Silvers in rugby sevens, rowing and canoe slalom. Especially happy with a medal in a team sport. The track cycling team have displayed a great shape and won an unexpected gold in men's team sprint. :yes

Edited by Quasit