website statistics

Great Britain National Thread

uk12points

2 hours ago, Jur said:

Is teh Race Walking team closed or they're going to add more athletes?

Anyway, I'm happy por Derek but sad for Charlotte. I think she's the future of british marathon running, cause she's so young; not being part of the olympic team is a mistake by BA....

Well, Charlotte did not achieve the British qualification standard so her chances of going to Rio were very very small. The selectors have made it clear that any 3rd athlete must have achieved the GB selection standard, so athletes need to work towards tha.

the 20km race walking teams still have to be selected, their trials are in Leeds at the start of June.

Do you know how and when will Great Britain select the sailing crews in men's 470 and 49er? I just noticed that Luke Patience and Elliot Willis had been deselected to the team few months ago because of the Willis' ongoing battle with bowel cancer. He was replaced by Chris Grube.

5 hours ago, MantaRaymarc said:

Do you know how and when will Great Britain select the sailing crews in men's 470 and 49er? I just noticed that Luke Patience and Elliot Willis had been deselected to the team few months ago because of the Willis' ongoing battle with bowel cancer. He was replaced by Chris Grube.

They were announced today:

Luke Patience (Men’s 470)
Chris Grube (Men’s 470)
Dylan Fletcher (49er)
Alain Sign (49er)

1 minute ago, AndyRobbins said:

They were announced today:

Luke Patience (Men’s 470)
Chris Grube (Men’s 470)
Dylan Fletcher (49er)
Alain Sign (49er)

I thought John Pink and Stuart Bithell for 49er. How did it happen?

Just now, AndyRobbins said:

Apparently not, according to the official Team GB site: https://www.teamgb.com/news/final-four-sailors-selected-to-team-gb-for-rio-2016

Yes. It's already been published on Team GB site. I just want to find out how did the British sailors select Fletcher and Sign over Pink and Bithell, who earned the quota place for Team GB at the Worlds two years ago.

1 minute ago, MantaRaymarc said:

Yes. It's already been published on Team GB site. I just want to find out how did the British sailors select Fletcher and Sign over Pink and Bithell, who earned the quota place for Team GB at the Worlds two years ago.

Hmm, I don't know about that :mumble:

• 2 months later...
Day 1 Finals

Archery - Men's Team

no British participation

Cycling - Men's Road Race

:GBR Steve Cummings

:GBR Chris Froome

:GBR Ian Stannard

:GBR Geraint Thomas

:GBR Adam Yates

The course is made for climbers apparently so Froome could have a chance if he does something. I wouldn't make predictions for this race though as anything can happen.

Fencing - Women's Individual Épée

no British participation

Judo - Women's -48kg

no British participation

Judo - Men's -60kg

:GBR Ashley McKenzie

Should beat Özlü :TUR in R32 but will then face the current world champion Smetov :KAZ in R16. Repechage is possible if Smetov makes it far.

Shooting - Women's 10m Air Rifle

:GBR Jennifer McIntosh

I don't know, a better finish than in London (36th) would be nice. No chance for a medal.

Shooting - Men's 10m Air Pistol

no British participation

Swimming - Women's 400m Individual Medley

:GBR Hannah Miley

:GBR Aimee Willmott

Both should make the final and Miley could go for silver if things to well. Husszu :HUN will be too strong.

Swimming - Women's 4x100m Freestyle Relay

no British participation

Swimming - Men's 400m Freestyle

:GBR James Guy

:GBR Stephen Milne

Milne should aim for a new PB and Guy is a medal contender if things go well. However, he will face strong competition such as Park :KOR, Sun :CHN, Horton :AUS, Detti :ITA, Cochrane :CAN and the Americans :USA. Just hope his swimming trunks sit tight. :lol:

Swimming - Men's 400m Individual Medley

:GBR Max Litchfield

Should qualify for the final.

Weightlifting - Women's -48kg

no British participation

optimistic shot on medals 3
reasonable shot on medals 1
Edited by Quasit

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

Team GB medals after Day 1

Rank Gold Silver Bronze Total
--- 0 0 0 0

After a disappointing start no medals for GB on Day 1. The only highlight was Peaty's WR and McIntosh finished 15th which is very good. 21 places better than 4 years ago.

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.