website statistics

Athletics at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

34 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

If they were to have sensors and base decisions on that, walkers will obviously adapt their technique in such a way that they are - as they are now - right on the boundaries of the rules. Like athletes in most sports always push the rules and sometimes break them (and then get penalized, like here).

Sure, but if all of a sudden all 20k races are ten minutes longer than they were the year before…..

3 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

I really love race walking but I did not see such ridiculous last 2km for a long time. The first three were ALL flying all the way, you could even see it with the bare eye. But of course the judges do not have the balls to DQ them. What a fucked up ending.

It's lopsided. These judges are well aware that disqualifying the leading trio in the final km would put race walking under scrutiny of the mainstream media. No doubt it would have made headlines.

So the athletes too probably know they can get away with anything.

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, Orangehair43 said:

They DQ Jane Savile in 2000 while she was leading in her home city. 

And Tom Bosworth got DQ at home in London when they were whispers of medal potential 

I was hoping for a DQ a la Sydney 2000 but sadly it never came.

1 minute ago, Orangehair43 said:

They DQ Jane Savile in 2000 while she was leading in her home city. 

And Tom Bosworth got DQ at home in London when they were whispers of medal potential 

My mistake. They dare to disqualify some big time "walker" every 17 years then. :p

#banbestmen

Yeah DSQ were quite often in this sport, even after the finished race. especially in the 20km (for obvious reason :p), but it changed after the penalty box system introduction, nowadays it is pretty unusual to see a DSQ and almost never happens after the race.

However, congrats to Italy and Stano, what a effort, this remembered the legendary Maurizio Damilano at his best years