website statistics

Athletics at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

1 minute ago, NearPup said:

Still really confused about what the rule is re: when a jump off is required and when it isn't in the high jump. Like, did they just offer them the tie so they could get on to the 100m finals? xD

No, it is just like i said it. The rules state that there should be a jump-off to separate the tie, but if both athletes agree not to do it and accept the tie, they can't force them to do it. It already happened recently in the indoor worlds in Torun as well.

Like of course they would gladly take a gold medal each, why do they even bother asking. Anyone that wants a jump off would look like an ass. This is why the rule has to change and they shouldn't even ask them and directly do it.

2 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

No, it is just like i said it. The rules state that there should be a jump-off to separate the tie, but if both athletes agree not to do it and accept the tie, they can't force them to do it. It already happened recently in the indoor worlds in Torun as well.

Like of course they would gladly take a gold medal each, why do they even bother asking. Anyone that wants a jump off would look like an ass. This is why the rule has to change and they shouldn't even ask them and directly do it.

Really makes me wonder why they bothered to jump-off for gold at the 2015 worlds then. You'd think nobody would ever want a jump off in a major championship.

6 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Still really confused about what the rule is re: when a jump off is required and when it isn't in the high jump. Like, did they just offer them the tie so they could get on to the 100m finals? xD

WA Congress in Doha in March 2019 scratched the rule about mandatory jump-off for 1st place in vertical jump events (HJ & PV). So if the athletes involved don't want to take part in jump-off they will share that scoring place (which is 1st). This only applies to high jump & pole vault.

There were other rules changes in March 2019 like reverting to the old one minute preparation before attempts in technical events (in 2017 they made it 30 seconds for TV purpose but it was highly unpopular).

2 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Really makes me wonder why they bothered to jump-off for gold at the 2015 worlds then. You'd think nobody would ever want a jump off in a major championship.

Because the rules were only altered in March 2019. In 2015 the jump-off was still mandatory (re: my post above).