website statistics

Boxing at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

1 hour ago, phelps said:

oh, c'mon, man! Testa (women's -57kg) against Vorontseva (RUS) in the preliminary round and the winner against Walsh (IRL)...

basically, 2 of the 3 favourites will be out by the end of the second round...:facepalm:

and of course also the no.1 Lin (TPE) and Petrova (BUL) in the same half of the draw...

meanwhile in the bottom half they just can save time and put Artingstall (GBR, who's not even in the top 5 of this class in terms of talent) in the Gold Medal match...

I'm not sure Artingstall can defeat the Brazilian; even less sure she can make it past the winner between Tunisian Hlimi and our Nechita. Nechita is kinda dark horse...you'll see :p

Thought draw for all the Irish boxers except Kellie Harrington who avoided most of the dangerous non seeds until the semis at least. 

Aidan Walsh is now our best chance of a men’s medal but his sisters draw is so tough

Gone from hoping for 3/4 medals to thinking we’ll get one now

1 minute ago, dodge said:

Thought draw for all the Irish boxers except Kellie Harrington who avoided most of the dangerous non seeds until the semis at least. 

Aidan Walsh is now our best chance of a men’s medal but his sisters draw is so tough

Gone from hoping for 3/4 medals to thinking we’ll get one now

Yeah. Exactly my thinking too.  Definitely O'Rourke and Michaela will find it hard to medal now. Although if O'Rourke does win she should medal. Walker, Irvine and Brennan got brutal draws as well.

Still in 2016 I though we were certain of 4 medals and that collapsed on the eve of the Olympics opening.  As of now I'd be ecstatic with two boxing medals. Indeed very happy with one.

Unlike previous times, i have absolutely no expectations for this boxing tournament. Tough draws were expected and along with the unfavorable refereeing we receive in the last 10 years, equals early exits. From our 3 boxers, they can get 1 win and then things will end in the second match

M 52 - Daniel Asenov - 1 round win over :ROU Girleanu and 1/8 loss to :ESP Gabriel Escobar

W 51 - Stoyka Krasteva - 1 round win over :VIE Thi Tam and 1/8 loss to Soluianova / Fuchs

W 57 - Stanimira Petrova - 1/8 win over :COL Arias and then 1/4 loss to Lin / Petecio

I had the most faith in Petrova, but that draw is brutal. All favourites are in the top half. If she was in the bottom, she even could have been a finalist. Now it's going to be very tough and lucky, if she gets to the 1/2