website statistics

Women's Water Polo FINA Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2021

Totallympics

8 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

Hello @Makedonas great that you joined is here.

What are your biggest medal hopes for Tokyo from Greek perspective? 

Have a good day 

Thank you. I am not too sure. I think we have a lot of chances for medals, but we don't have too many clear favorites. We have a lot of good young athletes in athletics, swimming, rowing, sailing and some other sports, so I think 2024 will be much better.

5 of our 6 medalists from 2016 will be back in 2020, and I think some will win medals again. Petrounias if he qualifies I think will surely get a medal. Stefanidi I think also has a very good chance, but I don't think it would be gold again. Anna Korakaki has done very well since Rio but it will be hard to repeat what she did in 2016, I still think she has a good chance to win at least one medal. Our sailing team Mantis/Kagialis won bronze in 2016 but I think it will be hard for them to win another medal because they're old now.

We have a lot of people who have won world championship medals in recent years like Maria Prevolaraki (wrestling), Kristian Gkolomeev (swimming), Theodora Gkountoura (fencing), Apostolos Telikostoglou (taekwondo), Eleni Chatziliadou (karate) and maybe some others that I am forgetting. So these are all chances for medals, and of course we have men's basketball if they qualify, men's water polo, Stefanos Tsitsipas which will have big expectations. Again though, we don't have too many clear favorites to win medals but a lot of people with some chances. We could end Tokyo with 2 medals or we could end with 15 :lol:. If I had to make a prediction, it would be about 5-6 medals.

There are also some others in athletics, shooting, swimming and sailing that have some chances, maybe judo, boxing, rowing and cycling but I don't expect it.