website statistics

Women's Water Polo FINA Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2021

Totallympics

3 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

That kept them safe until the IOC decided to investigate on an events basis rather than just sport.

Of course the reality is as long as the current nations remain viable the sport should be safe (unless the IOC wants to get rid of 1000+ athlete quotas for some reason).

That was part of the agenda 2020. Didn't really happen though ...

26 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

And with the IOC looking to cut quotas everywhere water polo (with no ex-Yugoslavia nations) would look quite enticing

They cut 2 per team already... I can't see them wanting the sport off... their governing body all together is the largest medal sport on the program.

If it were up to me though I'd get rid of water polo or synchro to free up more quotas for another team sport

Don't forget women's wp had only 8 teams at OG and more or less established nations always qualified....with increase on 10 teams more nations are trying (Slovakia and Israel we would barely see in the past).......of course time will be needed to progress.....Spain used to be weaker than France....but when their girls started to train at American collages Spain improved a lot.

I also feel like in rugby 7s and field hockey all the time same nations qualify (especially from Europe)

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

That's because those sports are the "black sheep" of the Games with many huge scandals. They wouldn't be in any danger otherwise. 

Yes, of course. I was just trying to point out that having a traditional spot on the program, doesn’t mean your guaranteed a spot in the future. 

I believe Water Polo is safe for the time being though. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

They cut 2 per team already... I can't see them wanting the sport off... their governing body all together is the largest medal sport on the program.

If it were up to me though I'd get rid of water polo or synchro to free up more quotas for another team sport

Which team sport though? Outside of Baseball/Softball or Cricket I can’t see any others really challenging for/deserving a spot on the Olympic program. Plus, even Baseball/Softball and Cricket suffer from many of the same problems as Water Polo in terms of competitive diversity.

Edit: Rugby 15s could also be in the mix, but again, similar issues, and more quotas.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

PLAY-OFF ROUND DAY 1

QUARTERFINALS

QF1 2A-3B  :NED - :KAZ  19-6   (5:1, 4:2, 4:0, 6:3)

QF2 1B-4A  :GRE - :SVK   22-3  (4:1, 5:0, 7:2, 6:0)

---------------------------------

QF3 2B-3A :HUN - :FRA   20-7   (4:2, 3:1, 5:2, 8:2)

QF4 1A-4B :ITA - :ISR   15-6   (3:0, 3:1, 7:1, 2:4)

SEMIFINALS

*Winning Teams will qualify for Tokyo 2020

18:00  WQF1-WQF2  :NED - :GRE

20:00  WQF3-WQF4  :HUN - :ITA

CONSOLATION ROUND

5th-8th PLACES SEMIFINALS

14:00  LQF1-LQF2  :KAZ - :SVK

16:00  LQF3-LQF4  :FRA - :ISR

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

I thought they reversed that and are now allowing 13 players per team?

It is sad, that fight for qualification spot will be probably useless (I do not believe, Olympic will be cancelled). I think water polo especially women's competition should include more countries. FINA should develop this sport discipline.  To be honest there are many natiomnwith huge amount of swim pools, I do not onow why only few countries try this sport. 
 In the future this sport should be removed from olympic program. To be honest I like this sport, but it is not popular.