website statistics

Women's Water Polo FINA Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2021

Totallympics

8 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Men's water polo isn't all that much better in terms of the variety of teams, and yet they have 12 slots. I know, the matches aren't as ridiculously one-sided, but the Top7 European teams (Serbia, Croatia, Montenegro, Hungary, Italy, Spain, Greece) will literally never miss the Games. 

Pretty much, if is wasn't for the ex-Yugoslavia nations adding some depth, I imagine there would be quite the push to get rid of water polo.

8 minutes ago, dcro said:

Nah... Japan lost to all their opponents at the 2019 Worlds ( :ITA:CHN:AUS ) by only 2 goals. They would eat France for breakfast.

Cuba lost by 16 goals to Greece and 13 to Spain. Respectable. Kazakhstan defeated Cuba.

New Zealand lost by only 9 goals to the Netherlands.

So, yeah, all of them would be able to beat France on paper (some more than others)...

5 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

While I agree France would be the favourite, I'd give those teams a decent chance at winning. At the 2015 and 2017 World Championships (they only recent ones France has competed in) they went 1-1 with New Zealand.

Ok, my bad.

I am not so closely following water polo (and especially womens WP), so probably my subjective estimate of the strength and quality level of these teams was not so correct I guess.

1 minute ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Pretty much, if is wasn't for the ex-Yugoslavia nations adding some depth, I imagine there would be quite the push to get rid of water polo.

I doubt IOC would ever be able to pull that off as water polo has been part of the program for 125 years now. 

Just now, Vektor said:

I doubt IOC would ever be able to pull that off as water polo has been part of the program for 125 years now. 

Boxing and Weightlifting have been around longer, and their place at the Olympic Games looks anything but guaranteed at this point...

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Interesting to catch up on the 2019 Worlds results...

:RSA South Africa finished 12th in men's and 14th in women's tournament. Both best ever results (admittedly, thanks to some really lucky outcomes). I suppose this could very well be the reason why their NOC said yes.

Their women avoided the 15th place match by defeating South Korean... whatever that was. The men played draw against NZ and advanced to the play-off round thanks to more favorable goal difference.

#banbestmen

31 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Also they're simply a discipline of the so called 'aquatic sport' (FINA), if WP was run by an indépendant IF, the sport would be much more at risk.

Which is also the reason why there will never be an indépendant WP federation despite the numerous calls for it.

12 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Also they're simply a discipline of the so called 'aquatic sport' (FINA), if WP was run by an indépendant IF, the sport would be much more at risk.

Which is also the reason why they will never be an indépendant WP federation despite the numerous calls for it.

That kept them safe until the IOC decided to investigate on an events basis rather than just sport.

Of course the reality is as long as the current nations remain viable the sport should be safe (unless the IOC wants to get rid of 1000+ athlete quotas for some reason).

20 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Boxing and Weightlifting have been around longer, and their place at the Olympic Games looks anything but guaranteed at this point...

That's because those sports are the "black sheep" of the Games with many huge scandals. They wouldn't be in any danger otherwise.