website statistics

Women's Water Polo FINA Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2021

Totallympics

3 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

It must be weird when your only way of measuring your 'progress' is the margin of your loses .

Considering that France is right now the 7th best European team...however still significantly behind the top 6 (NED, ESP, ITA, HUN, RUS and GRE) and far ahead of the next contestants GER, CRO, SRB, SVK and ISR it is pretty clear that even with 12 teams at the Olympics the Womens Water Polo tournament will still have the same participating nations at the next at least 4 Olympics.

Can not speak about France, but From SVK view it is hard to progress if the sport has almost inexistant medialization, popularity or public support in the country. Our mens once qualified for the Olympics in 2000 but water polo in Slovakia was not able to build or gain anything from that.

and it is even worse in the womens part, we do have like 4 or 5 existing womens water polo clubs in the country. So, I guess we may celebrate and be really proud even of such achievements, like it was here to qualify for the FQT. Blowouts were expected, I think we all expected it.

While France may be currently a step above the other European nations, they would have a tough match against the other non-top 10 nations (Brazil, Cuba, Japan, Kazakhstan, New Zealand) for the final hypothetical spot in a 12-team tournament where one of the top 10 nations is the host.

17 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Considering that France is right now the 7th best European team...however still significantly behind the top 6 (NED, ESP, ITA, HUN, RUS and GRE) and far ahead of the next contestants GER, CRO, SRB, SVK and ISR it is pretty clear that even with 12 teams at the Olympics the Womens Water Polo tournament will still have the same participating nations at the next at least 4 Olympics.

Can not speak about France, but From SVK view it is hard to progress if the sport has almost inexistant medialization, popularity or public support in the country. Our mens once qualified for the Olympics in 2000 but water polo in Slovakia was not able to build or gain anything from that.

and it is even worse in the womens part, we do have like 4 or 5 existing womens water polo clubs in the country. So, I guess we may celebrate and be really proud even of such achievements, like it was here to qualify for the FQT. Blowouts were expected, I think we all expected it.

And yet your girls are ranked 8th in Europe. Show how incredible small the sport actually is. 

5 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

While France may be currently a step above the other European nations, they would have a tough match against the other non-top 10 nations (Brazil, Cuba, Japan, Kazakhstan, New Zealand) for the final hypothetical spot in a 12-team tournament where one of the top 10 nations is the host.

Well, I still believe that apart BRA they would beat any of the mentioned teams and like every day

3 minutes ago, gilbsh said:

stream for italy israel?

FINA TV -- but you have to pay

RAI ---  you need a VPN

otherwise only live score http://results.microplustiming.com/trieste2021/index_mobile.php?fbclid=IwAR0q2-5fJdEUh0NpTywC0FVBk1ZiacncRdqpstS9uT9EfeEslbkvPZASZXw

Men's water polo isn't all that much better in terms of the variety of teams, and yet they have 12 slots. I know, the matches aren't as ridiculously one-sided, but the Top7 European teams (Serbia, Croatia, Montenegro, Hungary, Italy, Spain, Greece) will literally never miss the Games. 

4 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Well, I still believe that apart BRA they would beat any of the mentioned teams and like every day

Nah... Japan lost to all their opponents at the 2019 Worlds ( :ITA:CHN:AUS ) by only 2 goals. They would eat France for breakfast.

Cuba lost by 16 goals to Greece and 13 to Spain. Respectable. Kazakhstan defeated Cuba.

New Zealand lost by only 9 goals to the Netherlands.

So, yeah, all of them would be able to beat France on paper (some more than others)...

#banbestmen

10 minutes ago, hckosice said:

While I agree France would be the favourite, I'd give those teams a decent chance at winning. At the 2015 and 2017 World Championships (the only recent ones France has competed in) they went 1-1 with New Zealand.