website statistics

Women's Water Polo FINA Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2021

Totallympics

11 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

I think it's unfair to automatically give spots to other continents. Six of the eight best teams in the world are from Europe (Spain, Netherlands, Hungary, Greece, Italy, Russia) and it's unfair that two of them have to miss out every year, while China and Australia (and now Canada and South Africa) get free passes.

The European teams really have to earn it. The least they could do is combine Asia and Oceania and make one of China/Australia earn their spot.

These are not the European Games

Australia and China are strong teams... Canada came within a goal of beating Hungary and Netherlands in 2019. These 3 teams deserve it for sure.

12 minutes ago, Vektor said:

But they deserve 12 teams because it's an Olympic team event. Either a team sport deserves to be at the Olympics, and therefore it should have 12 teams, or it doesn't deserve to be at the Olympics at all. 

Handball for example used to have as few as 6 teams, and their increase of participation was gradual.

France being the best unqualified team (on a global level) is just wrong. It's like Georgia being the next best global team in women's volleyball (i.e. someone completely incapable of threatening other globally qualified teams).

#banbestmen

It is not our fault other continents withdrew from the tournament.  The difference in this sport between the top 7 european countries and the rest is extremely big, everyone knew that.

Blame FINA and IOC to have a Final Olympic Qualifier system that need so useless large amount of nations including piss poor teams like SVK or ISR, but keep in mind that we or ISR are not here as a specially invited teams or by shopping buying the place, we are here because the girls earned this place by qualifying to this tournament last year at the EURO.

7 minutes ago, dcro said:

Handball for example used to have as few as 6 teams, and their increase of participation was gradual.

France being the best unqualified team (on a global level) is just wrong. It's like Georgia being the next best global team in women's volleyball (i.e. someone completely incapable of threatening other globally qualified teams).

And that was bullshit as well. If they have to limit it to 6 teams, that sport shouldn't be at the Games. And it's not the top 12 teams' fault that the rest of the world doesn't give a shit about women's water polo. Nothing is stopping Croatia and Serbia for example take it more seriously because they already know how to play the sport on the men's side. 

8 minutes ago, intoronto said:

These are not the European Games

Australia and China are strong teams... Canada came within a goal of beating Hungary and Netherlands in 2019. These 3 teams deserve it for sure.

All are decent teams, but Greece beat China 12-8 at the last World Championships where six of the eight quarterfinalists were European (along with USA and Australia). Greece and Canada have played each other many times in the past, and I don't think Canada has ever beaten us.

I mean no disrespect, but Canada probably would not have qualified if USA didn't win the world quota. My point was that Canada, Australia, South Africa (who will get destroyed in every game), and China didn't even have to break a sweat to qualify. They simply qualified because they exist. Try putting yourselves in our shoes for once and you may change your perspective.

13 minutes ago, LDOG said:

The only mistake was giving a world league quota before continental championships. Never give world quotas before continentals.

You sure that's the only mistake?

I think it's also a mistake that they change the qualification system every time. In 2011 we won GOLD at the World Championships and our entire qualification depended on one game against Spain, because we only got silver at the 2012 European Championships.

Now after that they decide to have quotas for the World Championships, and when you think they want to be fair they give South Africa a free quota when other teams who are 100x better will miss out.

4 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

You sure that's the only mistake?

I think it's also a mistake that they change the qualification system every time. In 2011 we won GOLD at the World Championships and our entire qualification depended on one game against Spain, because we only got silver at the 2012 European Championships.

Now after that they decide to have quotas for the World Championships, and when you think they want to be fair they give South Africa a free quota when other teams who are 100x better will miss out.

I strongly support continental representation (of at least 1 team) at the olympics so yeah, that's the only mistake in my view. 

7 minutes ago, LDOG said:

I strongly support continental representation (of at least 1 team) at the olympics so yeah, that's the only mistake in my view. 

There's also one other obvious mistake: the continental representation shouldn't be decided by a tournament where already qualified teams can play. For example, we lost our chance for the European quota because Spain (who already qualified for Tokyo) beat us in the Semifinal. Spain was the only team that beat us at the European championship. Meanwhile Russia, who we beat in the group stage, got the quota because the 2nd place in our group meant that they avoided Spain until the final.