website statistics

Artistic Swimming at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

• 6 months later...

Am I correct in assuming Russia is the overwhelming favourite in the team and duet events, with China as sort of remote team challenger and Spain, Ukraine and Japan as potential outsiders/main teams for bronze (basically in both team and duet)? Judging by previous results, it doesn't seem like behind them there is any other nation with a somewhat possible gold medal chance, and only a low number with a (small) medal chance.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Am I correct in assuming Russia is the overwhelming favourite in the team and duet events, with China as sort of remote team challenger and Spain, Ukraine and Japan as potential outsiders/main teams for bronze (basically in both team and duet)? Judging by previous results, it doesn't seem like behind them there is any other nation with a somewhat possible gold medal chance, and only a low number with a (small) medal chance.

Unless covid related stuff happens or a girl drowns, it's going to be: gold for Russia, silver for China, bronze for Ukraine or Japan (maybe add Spain in duet), any other outcome is not realistic.

1 minute ago, Dunadan said:

Unless covid related stuff happens or a girl drowns, it's going to be: gold for Russia, silver for China, bronze for Ukraine or Japan (maybe add Spain in duet), any other outcome is not realistic.

Team and duet are that similar in terms of results? :yikes:

Thanks, I know who to look for then :d (you know, limited time during the Olympic days, so I'll mostly just watch these few countries then)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Dunadan said:

No chance for Ukrainian first in history medal in artistic swimming ??

1 hour ago, Dunadan said:

You can rule us out of the equation for the medals. The federation decided to change the duet this season to start preparing two young girls for 2024, so they will be happy with a final.

Russia and China are a lock and the only "interesting" fight is going to be Ukraine or Japan for the bronze.

• 2 weeks later...

http://sportsfeed.gr/meion-ena-melos-i-elliniki-apostoli/

Sad news. The Greek team got tested before traveling to Tokyo. Unfortunately one of the duet girls tested positive for covid and will not be going to Tokyo with the rest of the girls. They didn't say yet who it is, so it's either Evangelia Papazoglou or Evangelia Platanioti (I guess we will find out eventually). I feel so sad.

Also it says that the reserve athlete will take her spot in the team event, but that Greece will not be competing in the duet. I do not know if that was Greece's decision or the IOC/FINA's rules.

EDIT-According to Wikipedia it is Evangelia Platanioti. And Papazoglou posted an Instagram story at the airport which confirms it's Platanioti.

At least Platanioti got to go to London and Rio but this is still sad.

Let me guess, Russia will win gold, China silver and Ukraine bronze (Japan might sneak in there!) for both the duet and team. 

This shouldn't be an Olympic event, not because it's not a sport but because the medals are decided before anyone hits the water.