website statistics

Wrestling at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

On 02/08/2021 at 18:44, heywoodu said:

Round of Stupid Questions continues, here is number two!

What was up with that Geraei vs Starcevic challenge?! First Geraei got four points when he jumped up the Croat and pulled him down, right. Then the Croat challenged, and won the challenge, but still Geraei was left with two points, which made it 5-5 and gave him the win anyway. The Croat was of course angry and was certain he was leading, but this was on a stream without commentator (not that that'd be useful anyway), so I have really no idea what was going on exactly :d 

When seeing the replay I thought Starcevic fell on Geraei and not on the mat and maybe he would win the challenge because of that, but I'm still puzzled why - even though the Croat won the challenge - the Iranian only lost two of the four points.

in wrestling it's not about "falling on the mat" the offensive wrestler gets points when the defensive wrestler's back is exposed past 90 degrees. in that action Starvevic claimed he was initiating the action and therefore he should get the points (which was obviously not correct)

personally I didn't get why they shaved 2pts of it . to me it was a 4. but they probably thought it wasn't directly from "feet to danger"