website statistics

Wrestling at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

1 minute ago, MHSN said:

there are some unwritten rules about how award passivity cautions.

in first period they give it to the passive wrestler, that's simple. but things get complicated in 2nd period. the unwritten rule is in case of 50/50 situation you have to penalize the other wrestler to create some kind of parity . but again when a match is one-sided they can penalize one wrestler twice. but it's up to those non-smart  (and sometimes corrupt) referees to decide if it's 50/50 (or even 60/40) or it's one-sided. I was watcing 2 or 3 mats at the same time. I didn't miss actions but for judging cautions you have to watch the entire period. I watched Lorincz/Japan match but since I was watching another match at the same I can't judge here. but when you are up against the host wrestler you have to be "very active" otherwise you are going to get cautions. unfortunately

the main thing is there is no consistency in awarding cautions. it's just up to the refs. which is terrible

Thanks. Well, let's hope there won't be any bullshit on the :HUN v :IRI match, that would be terrible no matter who wins. 

2 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Thanks. Well, let's hope there won't be any bullshit on the :HUN v :IRI match, that would be terrible no matter who wins. 

this is Greco-Roman, and it will be a close match, I'm almost sure at least one of us will be angry about the officiating and how they awarded the cautions , I just don't want to be that one :p

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah, I believe you once told me there is a strong suspicion of him losing non-Olympic finals and probably gaining money that way to help his very poor family? If that's truly the case, I could definitely find some sympathy for that, assuming that Cuba is not a country where you will lead the rich, sponsored life...

I find it so amazing to see Lopez in action and playing around with these 130kg guys as if they are a children's toy. Truly one of the most impressive athletes of the entire Games, if not the most impressive.

Cuban wrestlers are notorious for doing that. people in wrestling community are aware of few of them (Garzon, Lopez. Romero, Ortiz) and god knows how many times they lost without anybody noticing. it happened against Russia, Turkey, Bulgaria and unfortunately I have to say once against Iran. of course it's hard/impossible to prove these claims but almost everybody in wrestling community knows this.

Lopez is from another planet, those guys he beat weren't easy. I mean Kayaalp is one of the best wrestlers in the world, one of the best in history, he would be multiple Olympic Champion if he wasn't wrestling in Lopez's era.

30 minutes ago, MHSN said:

this is Greco-Roman, and it will be a close match, I'm almost sure at least one of us will be angry about the officiating and how they awarded the cautions , I just don't want to be that one :p

Cheering for Iran ?. Who cares about Hungary ?

That was a crazy semi-final, I am not sure if the refs didn't help us, a lot happened. I feel like either the refs were in our favor or the Iranians messed it up. I think Garaei was the stronger wrestler on the mat today, his mistake (plus that second challange) gave Lőrincz a huge 6-1 lead. But hey, maybe this is our lucky day on these cursed Games, first women's handball and now this, luck was on our side. 

Right, didn't get to catch up with the quarter and semi finals of today's weight classes, but I really don't want to miss Lopez' final live so let's go :d

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!