website statistics

Wrestling at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

42 minutes ago, NearPup said:

:CAN fails to medal in women's wrestling for the very first time. Very bad results from the team both in qualification and at the Olympic themselves, really seems like the sport is in steep decline in Canada.

This, it looks like Tokyo 2020 end so many streaks. I wonder how many countries in which disciplines failed to medal for the first time ever, right in Tokyo.

Just came to my mind

:USA in M 4x200 Freestyle

:SVK in M C1 Canoe Slalom

now :CAN in W Wrestling

any other I remember read something about USA in Rowing, but not sure ?

16 minutes ago, hckošice said:

This, it looks like Tokyo 2020 end so many streaks. I wonder how many countries in which disciplines failed to medal for the first time ever, right in Tokyo.

Just came to my mind

It also ends what was tied for the longest medal streak for Canada in any summer sport, Canada had won a wrestling medal at every summer Olympics since 1992. Rowing now has that record for Canada.

As for the US, this was the first time they didn't win an Olympic medal in rowing in a non-boycotted Olympics since 1912.

2 hours ago, prso1000 said:

@MHSN

Iran -Croatia: that looked weird 

I think it was not fair but you are the expert, tell me 

for leaving the mat you usually get 1 point? And the last two points? 

you give up 2pts if you "flee" the mat. going out without a fight. and to be honest I think that was just 1. Starcevic was somehow resisting, it wasn't fleeing. Geraei got lucky here.

and the last action was 4 or 2 for Geraei, this is ridiculous if anybody thinks another way.

but there were other problems in this match, Geraei was all attack in the 2nd period, he was attacking the whole time, the center ref asked for passivity caution against red (CRO) twice but other refs ignored it. I mean Starcevic was very passive he didn't deserve a chance in parterre. and surely he didn't deserve 1 whole minute to perform two gut-wrenches, that's usually 20-30 seconds.

but this is Greco-Roman wrestling where rules are not clear. there are lots of grey areas. it usually works in favor of certain countries. I'm just glad Geraei survived this match

hopefully Geraei can pull Starcevic back into the repechage :p but he is too inconsistent , you never know what to expect with him.

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Catching up with yesterday's semis and I'm now at Kayaalp vs Lopez. I don't think there has been any event I've been looking forward more to at the Olympics than this one and specifically this fight :hyper: 

well you weren't the only one looking forward to this match, the refs were waiting for this one to use their magic once again. annulling Lopez's 2pts gut wrench was nothing short of magic.

Lopez looked great today, probably even better than before. if he really wants I believe he may even win the gold in Paris.

he is probably the best Greco wrestler of all time. even better than the great Karelin. Lopez won the gold in 3 Olympics with 3 different set of rules. I mean completely different rules. and he is going to win his 4th , no male wrestler could ever do that.

the only bad thing in his career is his intentional defeats, people question 3 of his defeats against Kayaalp and Baroev, I'm almost sure in two of them he wanted to lose.

Just now, MHSN said:

well you weren't the only one looking forward to this match, the refs were waiting for this one to use their magic once again. annulling Lopez's 2pts gut wrench was nothing short of magic.

Lopez looked great today, probably even better than before. if he really wants I believe he may even win the gold in Paris.

he is probably the best Greco wrestler of all time. even better than the great Karelin. Lopez won the gold in 3 Olympics with 3 different set of rules. I mean completely different rules. and he is going to win his 4th , no male wrestler could ever do that.

the only bad thing in his career is his intentional defeats, people question 3 of his defeats against Kayaalp and Baroev, I'm almost sure in two of them he wanted to lose.

Why would he want to lose in a world championship final?

8 minutes ago, MHSN said:

you give up 2pts if you "flee" the mat. going out without a fight. and to be honest I think that was just 1. Starcevic was somehow resisting, it wasn't fleeing. Geraei got lucky here.

and the last action was 4 or 2 for Geraei, this is ridiculous if anybody thinks another way.

but there were other problems in this match, Geraei was all attack in the 2nd period, he was attacking the whole time, the center ref asked for passivity caution against red (CRO) twice but other refs ignored it. I mean Starcevic was very passive he didn't deserve a chance in parterre. and surely he didn't deserve 1 whole minute to perform two gut-wrenches, that's usually 20-30 seconds.

but this is Greco-Roman wrestling where rules are not clear. there are lots of grey areas. it usually works in favor of certain countries. I'm just glad Geraei survived this match

hopefully Geraei can pull Starcevic back into the repechage :p but he is too inconsistent , you never know what to expect with him.

I am not sure if you have watched Lőrincz's match, but I similarly found on that match weird how the Japanese got his opportunity, I am assuming due to passivity. Not long before the call for parterre occurred Lőrincz was the one attacking and almost pushed the Japanese out, so I don't know why they would think he was the one being more passive.

Anyway, it doesn't matter because he went through. I am worried because he doesn't seem to be in top form (yet), he was visibly tired by the end of the match and the Japanese almost surprised him at the end. 

2 hours ago, Vektor said:

Good effort from Szőke against Evloev who's obviously on another level. Hopefully the Russian will help us out by winning his semi-final. 

Michalik can't beat Evloev in his wildest dreams, but Szoke has a tough job against Melia in the repechage which I believe is his real bronze medal match.

3 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Yeah, I believe you once told me there is a strong suspicion of him losing non-Olympic finals and probably gaining money that way to help his very poor family? If that's truly the case, I could definitely find some sympathy for that, assuming that Cuba is not a country where you will lead the rich, sponsored life...

I find it so amazing to see Lopez in action and playing around with these 130kg guys as if they are a children's toy. Truly one of the most impressive athletes of the entire Games, if not the most impressive.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, hckošice said:

Just came to my mind

I would add that Italy didn't qualify any male in boxing for the 1st time since Anterpew 1920 :(

6 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I am not sure if you have watched Lőrincz's match, but I similarly found on that match weird how the Japanese got his opportunity, I am assuming due to passivity. Not long before the call for parterre occurred Lőrincz was the one attacking and almost pushed the Japanese out, so I don't know why they would think he was the one being more passive.

Anyway, it doesn't matter because he went through. I am worried because he doesn't seem to be in top form (yet), he was visibly tired by the end of the match and the Japanese almost surprised him at the end. 

there are some unwritten rules about how award passivity cautions.

in first period they give it to the passive wrestler, that's simple. but things get complicated in 2nd period. the unwritten rule is in case of 50/50 situation you have to penalize the other wrestler to create some kind of parity . but again when a match is one-sided they can penalize one wrestler twice. but it's up to those non-smart  (and sometimes corrupt) referees to decide if it's 50/50 (or even 60/40) or it's one-sided. I was watcing 2 or 3 mats at the same time. I didn't miss actions but for judging cautions you have to watch the entire period. I watched Lorincz/Japan match but since I was watching another match at the same I can't judge here. but when you are up against the host wrestler you have to be "very active" otherwise you are going to get cautions. unfortunately

the main thing is there is no consistency in awarding cautions. it's just up to the refs. which is terrible