website statistics

Auto Racing Discussion Thread

vlad

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

You know this is just an issue that I’m passionate about. Like I said in my last post, I’ve seen where the “it’s just a game” mentality can land you. There’s absolutely a place for that (Leclerc organized a virtual lawn mower races with his mates where they knew they were crashing on purpose), this wasn’t it. They cost people money, time, and effort; and their should be some consequences for that.

Exactly: being banned from a couple of these iRacing events. Just like someone who has amassed certain penalties in real racing is still perfectly allowed to race a virtual race but not a real race.

Especially in the case of Pagenaud, for Ferrucci I'd have less problems with it being different since he's actually shown to be a jerk and, more importantly, a danger on a real race track.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

It's video game stuff. Once real racing starts nobody will remember about some online game crap :coffee:

Those who didn't watch it won't, indeed.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Drivers really suck at understanding these virtual races...

Overreactions galore in two months of virtual racing :lol: 

Anyway, dumb move by him, even being the son of the team boss is not likely to help him out in this case - considering his mediocre results lately they might have been looking for replacement anyway, a tiny excuse could have been all that was needed.

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Overreactions galore in two months of virtual racing :lol: 

Anyway, dumb move by him, even being the son of the team boss is not likely to help him out in this case - considering his mediocre results lately they might have been looking for replacement anyway, a tiny excuse could have been all that was needed.

I wouldn’t call these overreactions. If they all agree to put effort into something, and take it semi-seriously; people being assholes should be punished obviously. Plus, like I said before, it makes a mockery of virtual racing (of which there is a large community) and sets a bad example for kids.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I wouldn’t call these overreactions. If they all agree to put effort into something, and take it semi-seriously; people being assholes should be punished obviously. Plus, like I said before, it makes a mockery of virtual racing (of which there is a large community) and sets a bad example for kids.

That's not what we disagree on :d 

Too bad it's in German, not sure how many non-Germans here will understand it.

Haven't watched the whole thing yet, but I definitely feel sympathy for him. So far, basically the point is: there are two groups of racers in these Race at Home races. One group who takes it very serious, and another who is in it mostly for fun and to give the fans some fun stuff as entertainment. Abt is clearly in the second group, and during some other races the idea popped up - with at least a thousand viewers in the live stream, it was all public when they were talking about this - to have a pro sim racer take his place. He doesn't give a rat's ass about the position in the race, but "it'd be fun to see how it goes and how he does against these real racers, meanwhile we're making a video of it and after the race we'll show it to the fans."

The basic point was to pull a bit of a prank, give the fans a laugh and that's it. Yeah, I can perfectly get he didn't expect people to absolutely knock his virtual head off for it as if he'd just killed a baby in a live stream.