website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 Olympic Sports Programme

1 hour ago, dcro said:

50km elimination? :lol:

No, same rules as track cycling. Someone gets out every two laps.

Well, at least some long race. If they don't replace mass start with elimination race, at least make the mass start longer than this joke of a format they have now.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well, at least some long race. If they don't replace mass start with elimination race, at least make the mass start longer than this joke of a format they have now.

50km is more than an hour though, I wonder how ice would look at the end. :p They never let more than 3 pairs race in men's 10000m, in between the ice resurfacing.

#banbestmen

I would love to see ice climbing and ski mountaneering. And I really think both of them could easily be added any time some, they make sense.

Also, cyclo-cross and athletics cross country would be asewome adds to the Games, an certainly they would bring new countrys and fans to the games.

Telemark skiing is very popular in our country (also in other parts of Alps and Scandinavia). They have improved this sport much during the years. It used to be a "boring" giant slalom run with telemark step, now they have added 360° turn and a cross country sprint part and also, they compete in pairs (like elimination race). 

It is much more interesting now as it was 20 years ago, but still not so many countries compete. Usually there are around 50 men from 15 countries and only 15 women from 6, 7 countries in World cup races. This means it is still too early to add in Olympics programme, but maybe in the future, who knows. 

2 hours ago, dcro said:

50km is more than an hour though, I wonder how ice would look at the end. :p They never let more than 3 pairs race in men's 10000m, in between the ice resurfacing.

Ice is perfectly fine if you have a decent 'ice master', and if it gets a bit rough, who cares? Everyone is in the same race anyway, so it won't influence it or anything. Besides, the Dutch Marathon Cup consists of only 100km races (a few per week), 50km is nothing and the current mass start distance really is just a joke :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, justony said:

Usually there are around 50 men from 15 countries and only 15 women from 6, 7 countries in World cup races. This means it is still too early to add in Olympics programme, but maybe in the future, who knows. 

This won't be a problem in the case of women's Nordic combined :p 

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

This won't be a problem in the case of women's Nordic combined :p 

I think when (If) women's Nordic combined is accepted in Olympic family, other nations who have already developed women's ski jumping will compete more seriously, that includes our nation. I am cheering for that inclusion, this is one of the events women should compete in long time ago (not sure why there is still no World Cup)

6 minutes ago, justony said:

I think when (If) women's Nordic combined is accepted in Olympic family, other nations who have already developed women's ski jumping will compete more seriously, that includes our nation. I am cheering for that inclusion, this is one of the events women should compete in long time ago (not sure why there is still no World Cup)

I agree women's Nordic combined should definitely be in the Olympics, eventually. But only after a couple of World Cup seasons, not already a handful of years after the first Continental Cup competitions. Start a Continental Cup, let that grow a little, start a World Cup when the level and numbers are high enough for two 'leagues', and after a few years of that, see how it goes and think about adding it to the Olympics. Since women's Nordic combined is now mostly full of teenagers, this is a 10-year process, not something to hurry up and do in one Olympic cycle. I want women's Nordic combined at the Olympics at a good level, not when there are 5 half-decent 18-year olds competing.

Edited by heywoodu