website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 Olympic Sports Programme

Well, I'm not sure if this is really a thing people do, starting threads like this. But what the hell.

Anyways I was thinking: what new sports and events could we see in Beijing 2022? My personal suggestions would be:

Women's Nordic Combined (9/10)- This is the obvious one. There's a Continental Cup and it seems only logical after women's ski jumping. Doubt it would be very competitive or have many participants at the start but you never know. After it gets to the Games more people will take it up. Mostly Germans who do this so far.

Synchronized Skating (7/10)- We have swimming and it has a competitive scene, quite different to figure skating, has been submitted by the ISU before but was rejected due a lack of competitive participating nations apparently. Russia, Finland and Canada sort of rule it and that's it. I know some Czech teams exist (my friend was on one) but they're not quite on that level. Definitely gaining popularity though, there are many nations now. Skill gap between best and rest has narrowed, too, and I think it has a chance.

Speed Skiing (4/10)- I can understand why it hasn't been contested in awhile, what with the, well, death and danger. But I think it deserves to be included simply for the novelty of it. It's the fastest non-motorized sport where humans travel faster than terminal velocity. World Cup has many competitors and nations represented on the men's side, though for women there is still much to be desired. And the gear looks ridiculously awesome. I contacted FIS they said they are open to the idea but the process doesn't begin until after the 2018 Games.

Women's Team Ski Jumping (6/10)- They are testing this out for the first time this year. Would much prefer it to a mixed event. Think if they increase the number of female competitors (which they'll hopefully have justification to do) then this could be added. 

Biathlon Single Mixed Relay (5/10)- Not really sure about this one since we already have many relays in Biathlon. It's a fun discipline though. Though I wouldn't switch it out for the Mixed Relay I don't think. Also worth noting you could add in mixed relays for literally anything, like Cross-Country Skiing, or a combined one of Bobsleigh and Skeleton...

Ice Climbing (7/10)- Will be demonstration sport apparently at the 2018 Games. Kind of like the idea, even though it's less traditional. 

Skiing Big Air (3/10)- Freestyle Skiing could do a thing where Big Air is swapped out for one of the events. Maybe. But there are many Freestyle events already.

Snowboarding Parallel Slalom (5/10)Similarly Parallel Slalom and Giant Slalom could be alternated out each year. The same snowboarders compete in both of those events anyway.

Bandy (2/10)- Not very knowledgeable about this sport. May be a bit too similar to hockey and would mean many more athletes for not many more medals. Could make Somalia's Olympic debut. Haha. 

Short Track 3000m (4/10)- Short Track does this 3000m individual race now. Since China's very big on Short Track maybe the extra event wouldn't hurt. 

Telemark Skiing (0.5/10)- This discipline has always confused me a little. Apparently it's kind of like alpine meets cross-country. Not sure if I'd support it, seems almost unnecessary, but I'll keep an open mind.

Mountaineering/Orienteering (0.5/10)- I'd like to see these at the Olympics one day. Though it would be difficult to pull of in Beijing where all snow venues would be artificial anyway. Almaty, it would have worked.

Ski Flying (0.1/10)- It won't happen in 2022. But if the next Games are near a ski flying hill, I would LOVE to see this as at least a demonstration event.

Sled Dog Sports and Ice Stock Sport (0.1/10) Said they want to join the Olympics but way more growth needed. 

Winter Pentathlon (0.01/10)- Last appeared in 1948. Sounds very cool. Involved only two winter events out of the five though. I'd target it for 2026, and I'd include downhill skiing, cross-country skiing, speed skating, luge and maybe snowboarding or curling even. It would be so fun to do so there could be lots of interest.

Mahjong (why/10)- Yes you'd better believe it. They're trying to make it a demonstration sport. At the Beijing Winter Games. Interesting. I know it's Chinese culture but it's a game, and has nothing to do with winter frankly... https://www.thebeijinger.com/blog/2017/08/05/mahjong-proposed-demonstration-sport-2022-beijing-olympics But it's a demonstration sport, so won't be too critical.

What do you guys think? Any other sports you'd like to see added? Feel free to also give what you think the various chances are. 

Edited by ahjfcshfghb

il y a 35 minutes, ahjfcshfghb a déclaré:

Telemark Skiing (0.5/10)- This discipline has always confused me a little. Apparently it's kind of like alpine meets cross-country. Not sure if I'd support it, seems almost unnecessary, but I'll keep an open mind.

Did you mean Ski mountaineering which will be featured at Lausanne 2020 ?

17 minutes ago, Agger said:

Running, mountainbike and cross-country skiing

Whatever happens, this should be added :d 

(although Bruna (Moura) might stop with biathlon then to do this....that's not good :p )

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

16 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Did you mean Ski mountaineering which will be featured at Lausanne 2020 ?

Telemark is different. If I recall what I saw on German TV during the winters correctly, they start in parallel gates, do some sort of parallel slalom and then a bit of XC to the finish with some curves and stuff. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Whatever happens, this should be added :d 

(although Bruna (Moura) might stop with biathlon then to do this....that's not good :p )

It could also give you a spot as no. 22 on the men's world rankings is Dutch (former Olympic Speed skating champion Jochem Uytdehaage)! :p

Edited by Agger

40 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Well, I'm not sure if this is really a thing people do, starting threads like this. But what the hell.

Anyways I was thinking: what new sports and events could we see in Beijing 2022? My personal suggestions would be:

Women's Nordic Combined (9/10)- This is the obvious one. There's a Continental Cup and it seems only logical after women's ski jumping. Doubt it would be very competitive or have many participants at the start but you never know. After it gets to the Games more people will take it up. Mostly Germans who do this so far.

Synchronized Skating (7/10)- We have swimming and it has a competitive scene, quite different to figure skating, has been submitted by the ISU before but was rejected due a lack of competitive participating nations apparently. Russia, Finland and Canada sort of rule it and that's it. I know some Czech teams exist (my friend was on one) but they're not quite on that level. Definitely gaining popularity though, there are many nations now. Skill gap between best and rest has narrowed, too, and I think it has a chance.

Speed Skiing (4/10)- I can understand why it hasn't been contested in awhile, what with the, well, death and danger. But I think it deserves to be included simply for the novelty of it. It's the fastest non-motorized sport where humans travel faster than terminal velocity. World Cup has many competitors and nations represented on the men's side, though for women there is still much to be desired. And the gear looks ridiculously awesome. I contacted FIS they said they are open to the idea but the process doesn't begin until after the 2018 Games.

Women's Team Ski Jumping (6/10)- They are testing this out for the first time this year. Would much prefer it to a mixed event. Think if they increase the number of female competitors (which they'll hopefully have justification to do) then this could be added. 

Biathlon Single Mixed Relay (5/10)- Not really sure about this one since we already have many relays in Biathlon. It's a fun discipline though. Though I wouldn't switch it out for the Mixed Relay I don't think. Also worth noting you could add in mixed relays for literally anything, like Cross-Country Skiing, or a combined one of Bobsleigh and Skeleton...

Ice Climbing (7/10)- Will be demonstration sport apparently at the 2018 Games. Kind of like the idea, even though it's less traditional. 

Skiing Big Air (3/10)- Freestyle Skiing could do a thing where Big Air is swapped out for one of the events. Maybe. But there are many Freestyle events already.

Snowboarding Parallel Slalom (5/10)Similarly Parallel Slalom and Giant Slalom could be alternated out each year. The same snowboarders compete in both of those events anyway.

Bandy (2/10)- Not very knowledgeable about this sport. May be a bit too similar to hockey and would mean many more athletes for not many more medals. Could make Somalia's Olympic debut. Haha. 

Short Track 3000m (4/10)- Short Track does this 3000m individual race now. Since China's very big on Short Track maybe the extra event wouldn't hurt. 

Mountaineering/Orienteering (0.5/10)- I'd like to see these at the Olympics one day. Though it would be difficult to pull of in Beijing where all snow venues would be artificial anyway. Almaty, it would have worked.

Ski Flying (0.1/10)- It won't happen in 2022. But if the next Games are near a ski flying hill, I would LOVE to see this as at least a demonstration event.

Winter Pentathlon (0.01/10)- Last appeared in 1948. Sounds very cool. Involved only two winter events out of the five though. I'd target it for 2026, and I'd include downhill skiing, cross-country skiing, speed skating, luge and maybe snowboarding or curling even. It would be so fun to do so there could be lots of interest.

Mahjong (why/10)- Yes you'd better believe it. They're trying to make it a demonstration sport. At the Beijing Winter Games. Interesting. I know it's Chinese culture but it's a game, and has nothing to do with winter frankly... https://www.thebeijinger.com/blog/2017/08/05/mahjong-proposed-demonstration-sport-2022-beijing-olympics But it's a demonstration sport, so won't be too critical.

What do you guys think? Any other sports you'd like to see added? Feel free to also give what you think the various chances are. 

Women's nordic combined: I am indeed afraid it will be added in 2022, there's almost no way around it. It's pure stupidity to add an event to the Olympics 4 years after a Continental Cup (not even a World Cup yet) is started, but hey, gender equality no matter what.

Speed skiing: I doubt it will happen, mostly for a lack of excitement. I mean, all you really see is someone racing down the mountain and that's it. No turns, jumps or something, it's just really 'static'. Sort of like a big water glide and then have a competition about who goes down fastest.

Women's team ski jumping: this is not ready for a team event yet given the number of top competitors...give it more years, have some patience so it can grow, but don't throw in a team competition just because gender quality has to be achieved as soon as possible and no matter what.

Biathlon single mixed: this is a fun event indeed, but perfect for exhibition events (like Biathlon auf Schalke) and not much more than that.

Ice climbing: I hope it will be added, it looks cool :d 

Skiing big air: Nah, much like snowboard big air, it's just too 'meh'. There's no race, the action is so short and not even that spectacular...

Ski flying is not a different sport, it's just a part of ski jumping :p