website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 Olympic Sports Programme

11 minutes ago, Jur said:

However I don't understand WHY put a mixed sky jumping team event. There's already a team event for men, give women more jumping or put another event, but this sounds dumb.

I would actually be ok with the exclusion of the Men’s Team Event, the addition of Women’s Large Hill, and the Mixed Team as the only team event

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I meant it's a good thing they didn't add the single mixed relay, because in my opinion that is 100% perfect for show events, but rather mediocre to have in a serious competition. 

-No additional quotas

-Gives smaller countries an opportunity to compete in an additional event

4 hours ago, intoronto said:

-No additional quotas

-Gives smaller countries an opportunity to compete in an additional event

As a big fan of smaller countries, I'm not sure that's worth the sacrifice of having two events with both of them probably having a somewhat mediocre field because top athletes are saving themselves for either the mixed or the single mixed.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I would actually be ok with the exclusion of the Men’s Team Event, the addition of Women’s Large Hill, and the Mixed Team as the only team event

Why not keep it as it is, wait for the women's ski jumping to be even half as competitive as the men's, and then add a women's team event? With the current state in women's ski jumping, there's really no need for two individual events.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

22 hours ago, intoronto said:

My suggestion for quota reduction in skating:

Speed skating: Reduce quota by 18. Limit number of athletes per nation to 16 would save quotas...

Figure skating: Reduce Pairs to 18, Ice dance to 22. -8

Short track: This is impossible to reduce without compromising the number of ppl per heat.

My sugestion:

Figure skating: remove the team event quota and the host quota for pairs and ice dance, which reduces the overall figure skating quota by 10. Have the team event quota come from the regular event (so, for example, if Japan needs a pair to complete their team it comes from the pairs quota) and let team event only athletes compete in the regular event.

Short Track: reduce by 4. Short track has never used it’s full quota of 120 anyway.

Speed Skating: reduce overall quota by 12. To accomodate this reduce field size for the 500m, 1000m and 1500m to 30.

1 minute ago, Nate River said:

My sugestion:

Figure skating: remove the team event quota and the host quota for pairs and ice dance, which reduces the overall figure skating quota by 10. Have the team event quota come from the regular event (so, for example, if Japan needs a pair to complete their team it comes from the pairs quota) and let team event only athletes compete in the regular event.

Short Track: reduce by 4. Short track has never used it’s full quota of 120 anyway.

Speed Skating: reduce overall quota by 12. To accomodate this reduce field size for the 500m, 1000m and 1500m to 30.

30 is definitely plenty for the shorter distances.

25 minutes ago, Nate River said:

My sugestion:

I don't think the team event quota were included in the iOC's calculations.