website statistics

Snowboarding at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

hckošice

And cancelled for today, postponed to tomorrow. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

vor 5 Stunden schrieb heywoodu:

Kinda disappointing start to these Olympics for Norway. 

What? Two medals in men's ski jumping = two more medals than expected, silver in women's biathlon = 3 more medals than expected.

Of course many expected silver and bronze in women's cross-country (Kalla was always favorite for gold) and i expected for Kleveland, so you could say that it's a bit unexpected that they haven't gold by now, but no one could serious expect more than 4 medals by now (before men's skiathlon).

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 minute ago, OlympicsFan said:

What? Two medals in men's ski jumping = two more medals than expected, silver in women's biathlon = 3 more medals than expected.

Of course many expected silver and bronze in women's cross-country (Kalla was always favorite for gold) and i expected for Kleveland, so you could say that it's a bit unexpected that they haven't gold by now, but no one could serious expect more than 4 medals by now (before men's skiathlon).

A medal in ski jumping is (very) far from a surprise of course, but I meant in terms of gold. Realistically speaking a gold medal out of slopestyle, ski jumping and cross-country (before the men's skiathlon of course) was fairly realistic, so I'd be disappointed if I was a fan of Norwegians. Oh well, in terms of total medals there's nothing wrong and they first gold is there, so Norway has opened up the expected attack on 1st place again. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

vor 11 Minuten schrieb heywoodu:

A medal in ski jumping is (very) far from a surprise of course, but I meant in terms of gold. Realistically speaking a gold medal out of slopestyle, ski jumping and cross-country (before the men's skiathlon of course) was fairly realistic, so I'd be disappointed if I was a fan of Norwegians. Oh well, in terms of total medals there's nothing wrong and they first gold is there, so Norway has opened up the expected attack on 1st place again. 

It's not a surprise, but also not expected, no norwegian was a top 3 favorite and Kalla was the favorite in women's skiathlon. In terms of gold = a bit less expected, in terms of total medals = more than expected. 3 medals in men's skiathlon = 2 more than expected and certainly gold wasn't expected, so i would say they are 2-3 medals better than expected at this moment.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Gianlu33:

And it's silver for Parrot! Gerard won, USA won again in slopestyle :d

What happened to Kotzburg by the way? That's probably why i am not a huge fan of slopestly, we have new names all the time, there is not so much consistency at the top + most runs look the same, especially the second part of every run, they should design the track in a way that gives the athletes more freedom to be creative.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb heywoodu:

I don't follow snowboarding at all and even I knew Gerard.... :p 

Really? You knew him only because of the olympics or even in advance? There has been talk about him for years (since he was 12 at least), but i didn't think that someone who normally doesn't follow snowboarding would know about him.

Gerard wasn't out of this world today, but you should at least acknowledge that his creativity today was on another level. I think he was pretty much the only one who seemed to have put a lot of thought into how he wanted to seperate from everyone else. I think this was Canada's best and maybe even only good chance for a gold medal in snowboarding, so i understand their disappointment.

47 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Really? You knew him only because of the olympics or even in advance? There has been talk about him for years (since he was 12 at least), but i didn't think that someone who normally doesn't follow snowboarding would know about him.

Gerard wasn't out of this world today, but you should at least acknowledge that his creativity today was on another level. I think he was pretty much the only one who seemed to have put a lot of thought into how he wanted to seperate from everyone else. I think this was Canada's best and maybe even only good chance for a gold medal in snowboarding, so i understand their disappointment.

I will admit that his second jib (over the hitching pole) was really awesome, while all four Canadians had a boring line on that feature.

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

Canada has a good shot at Big Air, too.  I think we're all just a little sensitive after the judging in 2014.  Like in any judged sport, there can be debate this time around, but the gold medal winner isn't a joke like it was last time.