website statistics

Snowboarding at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

hckošice

6 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I also didnt expect a medal in mens slalom for Switzerland (of course the "absence" of Hirscher, Kristoffersen and Neureuther helped), but its not that surprising in the other events. Gut and Feuz in the downhill could have done better. I expected Shiffrin to win gold in the combined, but after seeing the so-called slalom, i wasnt surprised to see Gisin winning it.

Medals in freestlye skiing were pretty surprising for Switzerland though ...

Yeah, the only one that was expected was Fanny Smith's.

Gut should've ened up with at least 2 medals, but Gisin and Zenhäusern made up for that. Feuz I think we only expected the downhill medal, not necessarily the other one.

Hopp Suisse! Forza Italia! Go Canada Go!

30 minutes ago, Shiffrin said:

While I’m rewatching the race, it does seem Kosir was faster or at least had an equal time to Lee? 

His board is clearly over the line while Lee isn’t. If their times were equal Kosir would have been in the final as he had a faster Q time. 

Is it about the board, a body part, or anything (both included) crossing the line first? It's annoying that the camera that took this photo isn't a few cm more to the left, so there would be a straight angle and it'd be easier to see...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

21 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Is it about the board, a body part, or anything (both included) crossing the line first? It's annoying that the camera that took this photo isn't a few cm more to the left, so there would be a straight angle and it'd be easier to see...

Board.

Another angle, same story:

50 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) Do canadians really care about womens ice hockey or is it more like in Germany with womens football? Millions watch it, because its football after all, but noone really cares about the results in the end?

2) Did canadians really care about the results of mens ice hockey here? I always wondered: Does an average canadian even know those players who played here or are those guys completely unknow in Canada?

3) Not surprised about the canadian enthusiasm about curling, considering that (according to german commentator) there are more active curlers in canada than in the rest of the world combined, probably a bit like luge in germany, although almost noone in germany really likes luge, most people only watch it because germany is good in it.

1. Canadians care a *lot* about beating the US the one time every four years they play in the Olympics.

2. Not nearly as much as when the NHL was there, but the feeling in Canada is that the D team losing to Germany's almost A team is still a national embarrassment.

3. Curling is something that does get mainstream attention, especially during the Scotties and the Brier (the women's and men's national championships). It's not one of the top sports like hockey or basketball or even football (either the American or the Association kind), but there are enough consistent fans that it isn't a curiosity during the Olympics like a lot of the other sports are.

Interesting, on Twitter I read it's not the board, but the body part that counts. Still this is odd. Of course the red line is not the one that's official (or so I guess), but mostly a visual aid, but it's strange there's not really a decent finish photo anywhere. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, Nate River said:

I would really like to see the photo finish for that race.

Exactly. And not the one that's going around on Twitter, but one like it's being used in athletics. 

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Interesting, on Twitter I read it's not the board, but the body part that counts. Still this is odd. Of course the red line is not the one that's official (or so I guess), but mostly a visual aid, but it's strange there's not really a decent finish photo anywhere. 

Yeah I was wrong, it’s the boot. But even it’s a bit strange that they didn’t want to take his protest seriously. And even if he didn’t finish first, this looks like they’re at least completely tied. 

Edited by Shiffrin

16 minutes ago, Shiffrin said:

Yeah I was wrong, it’s the boot. But even it’s a bit strange that they didn’t want to take his protest seriously. And even if he didn’t finish first, this looks like they’re at least completely tied. 

That's the strangest thing indeed. I guess he didn't just go to the time guys to protest? At least as far as I know in most sports those are not the people to file official protests...