website statistics

Snowboarding at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

hckošice

4 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Really?

Not like Naeslund was the huge favorite here. The french girl in ice dance almost losing her dress certainly wasnt the reason for canada winning the gold there?

Toutant winning gold today also wasnt surprising, as well as Ted-Jan Bloemen winning 10 000 m gold? Bloeman of course was a top 3 favorite, but given his results at major championships i dont think that it was expected that he would keep his cool this time. For me Kripps winning gold was also surprising. I know that he won the world cup, so i get that most people will say that this gold was expected ... but i dont agree.

Toutant was a surprise, but he won an event where the top two favorites where Canadians.

Kripps was the best bobsleigh pilot this year so I don't see how it was surprising for him to win gold here. Certainly a lot less surprising than Jamanka winning.

While I’m rewatching the race, it does seem Kosir was faster or at least had an equal time to Lee? 

His board is clearly over the line while Lee isn’t. If their times were equal Kosir would have been in the final as he had a faster Q time. 

vor 12 Minuten schrieb Nate River:

You have to understand that for the average Canadian, the winter Olympics is a hockey tournament first, a curling tournament second and a bunch of other stuff attached to it third. So on paper these where good Olympics but I doubt that's what the average Canadian is going to take away.

Also worth remembering that if you remove the gold medals added since Sochi we have less golds than in Sochi, and that if you remove the gold medals added since Vancouver we have only 7 gold medals. So in a very real sense our performance is being propped up by the events that are being added.

1) Do canadians really care about womens ice hockey or is it more like in Germany with womens football? Millions watch it, because its football after all, but noone really cares about the results in the end?

2) Did canadians really care about the results of mens ice hockey here? I always wondered: Does an average canadian even know those players who played here or are those guys completely unknow in Canada?

3) Not surprised about the canadian enthusiasm about curling, considering that (according to german commentator) there are more active curlers in canada than in the rest of the world combined, probably a bit like luge in germany, although almost noone in germany really likes luge, most people only watch it because germany is good in it.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Shiffrin:

While I’m rewatching the race, it does seem Kosir was faster or at least had an equal time to Lee? 

His board is clearly over the line while Lee isn’t. If their times were equal Kosir would have been in the final as he had a faster Q time. 

Kosir is in the back? If yes, very hard to explain. I know what most people will think, but i dont think that the korean hosts could just manipulate official timing.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Nate River:

Toutant was a surprise, but he won an event where the top two favorites where Canadians.

Kripps was the best bobsleigh pilot this year so I don't see how it was surprising for him to win gold here. Certainly a lot less surprising than Jamanka winning.

So why dont you answer to what i wrote about Serwa, ice dancing or Bloemen?

I dont think that the top two favorites in big air were canadian. Before the start of the final? Yes. Before the start of the games? No, not to me, my favorite was Kleveland.

Kripps won the 2-man world cup, wouldnt say he was the best pilot just because of that. In my personal opinion he wasnt the best pilot, i always thought that Friedrich would (easily) win gold here, which would have been the case, if he wouldnt have messed up the first 2 heats. Kripps won the world cup, so objectively he was probably the favorite, thats true.

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Nathy:

WOW Nevin :champion::champion::champion:

Congrats, another sensational day for Switzerland. Switzerland doing much better than expected here, especially in alpine skiing?

Just now, OlympicsFan said:

Congrats, another sensational day for Switzerland. Switzerland doing much better than expected here, especially in alpine skiing?

Well, we're doing better than planned as we have 15 medals and we foresaw 11 :clap:

That being said, I wouldn't say we're doing better in alpine skiing. We're just winning medals in disciplines where we didn't really expect any. But on the other hand, we didn't win medals where we expected so, that balances it out :yes

Hopp Suisse! Forza Italia! Go Canada Go!

9 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Kosir is in the back? If yes, very hard to explain. I know what most people will think, but i dont think that the korean hosts could just manipulate official timing.

Yes the one in the back. Even in other pictures his boot was infront of Lee’s and as I said even if the time was equal Kosir would have advanced to the final.

Apparently he made a protest three times and in his words the time guys “didn’t even want to hear it”. Really disappointing.

vor 11 Minuten schrieb Nathy:

Well, we're doing better than planned as we have 15 medals and we foresaw 11 :clap:

That being said, I wouldn't say we're doing better in alpine skiing. We're just winning medals in disciplines where we didn't really expect any. But on the other hand, we didn't win medals where we expected so, that balances it out :yes

I also didnt expect a medal in mens slalom for Switzerland (of course the "absence" of Hirscher, Kristoffersen and Neureuther helped), but its not that surprising in the other events. Gut and Feuz in the downhill could have done better. I expected Shiffrin to win gold in the combined, but after seeing the so-called slalom, i wasnt surprised to see Gisin winning it.

Medals in freestlye skiing were pretty surprising for Switzerland though ...

Edited by OlympicsFan