website statistics

Snowboarding at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

hckošice

36 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I always found slopestyle and big air/aerials to be redundant. Heck, for snowboarding the same athletes qualify in slopestyle and big air.

Slopestyle and big air, sure, but aerials is completly distinct from slopestyle and big air. The techniques involved are completly different.

On 2018-01-09 at 12:40, Nate River said:

:CAN Team Canada for Snowboard Slopestyle and Big Air:

• Mark McMorris
  • Maxence Parrot
  • Sébastien Toutant
  • Tyler Nicholson
  • Spencer O’Brien
  • Laurie Blouin
  • Brooke Voigt

:CAN Rest of the Canadian team: 

Snowboardcross

• Baptiste Brochu
  • Kevin Hill
  • Chris Robanske
  • Carle Brenneman
  • Zoe Bergermann
  • Tess Critchlow
  • Meryeta O’Dine

Parallel Giant Slalom

• Jasey-Jay Anderson
  • Darren Gardner

Halfpipe

• Dereck Livingston
  • Mercedes Nicoll
  • Elizabeth Hosking
  • Calynn Irwin

Anderson is conpeting in his sixth winter Olympics, which is a record for Canada (and obviously a record for snowboarders). He has competed in every Giant Slalom / PSG in Olympic history, winning gold in 2010, on top of Snowboardcross in 2006 (where he was 5th) and PSL in Sochi. As far as I know he is the only snowboarder to qualify for every Olympics where snowboarding was contested.

Edited by NearPup

On 1/24/2018 at 12:44, Nate River said:

There are so few viable and popular winter sports, I think it’s kind of ridiculous to leave the “extreme” (is slopestyle really more extreme than alpine skiing?) sports out of the winter games.

I feel like winter is really the extreme olympics.  Almost every sport i consider extreme.  Unlike summer.  Most sports someone off the street wont be able to just try to do.   Any of the sledding is totally insane.  Alpine skiing and especially downhill.  Ski jumping??    I feel like the only thing that someone can just start doing is cross country.  Biathlon or curling.   Obviously not to their level but also not endanger his life in the process

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

as the detailed schedule of events might suggest, it's now official that the PGS knock-out phase will be contested over the single-run format...

it's also reported that the qualification stage and the final phase would be played on the same course design if it will be made possible by the weather conditions, otherwise the knock-out stage would have a new and different course design than the qualifiers (which are scheduled in the previous days and not in the same day as it normally happens in the world cup events)...

this is just something stupid and unfair...and goes together with the speedskating's 500m race contested over the single run...

actually, in this case the unfairness would be even bigger, due to the outdoor nature of this discipline...

ah, the IOC...:facepalm::wall:

Well, I watched WC in Bansko and it seemed like the course for PGS is much longer than what I remember from before.

Between two runs on different short courses, and one run on a longer course, I'd definitely choose the latter. Having a longer course balances things to a certain extent.

#banbestmen

Iouri Podladtchikov has withdrawn from the Olympics, his head injury not having healed enough :cry:

I think it's only a matter of time before David Hablüzel does too...

Edited by Nathy

Hopp Suisse! Forza Italia! Go Canada Go!

they're just settin'it up for another Shaun White's undeserved gold...:whistle:

that's definitely a NBC's plot (I guess thay called Mr.Reddington himself to write the Blacklist of Shaun's rivals and getting them off the Games)...:yikes::lol::rofl::roflmao::facepalm:

it's a joke, of course...:p