website statistics

Snowboarding at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

hckošice

3 hours ago, Quasit said:

Strange to see the US don't care about events like Snowboard Parallel Slalom or Ski Cross.

naaa...they only care about the X-Games stuff...:evil::whistle:

and in fact they're trying every possible move to make the Olympics the "B" X-Games, with all this bullshit like halfpipe, slopestyle, big air, surf, skateboarding and so on...and next time round maybe they'll try to put also the street luge and parkour in...:facepalm::wall:

14 minutes ago, phelps said:

naaa...they only care about the X-Games stuff...:evil::whistle:

and in fact they're trying every possible move to make the Olympics the "B" X-Games, with all this bullshit like halfpipe, slopestyle, big air, surf, skateboarding and so on...and next time round maybe they'll try to put also the street luge and parkour in...:facepalm::wall:

Honestly, I don't have a problem with these sports, only maybe if Surfing was held in a wave pool but it looks like they will have it in the ocean in Tokyo. Those are different and I like diversity at the Olympics. Extreme sports deserve their place to an extend in my opinion. I would favour some other sports that are not part of the programme over Surfing or Skateboarding though. Still much better than the Trackathlon thing they are trying in Athletics. :facepalm:

Is Street Luge still a thing? This is so out. :d

Edited by Quasit

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

4 minutes ago, Quasit said:

Honestly, I don't have a problem with these sports, only maybe if Surfing was held in a wave pool but it looks like they will have it in the ocean in Tokyo. Those are different and I like diversity at the Olympics. Extreme sports deserve their place to an extend in my opinion. I would favour some other sports that are not part of the programme over Surfing or Skateboarding though. Still much better than the Trackathlon thing they are trying in Athletics. :facepalm:

Is Street Luge still a thing? This is so out. :d

I don't have problems with these sports either (apart from skateboarding, I must admit...), but I think I like to watch them at the X-Games and not at the Olympics (where I prefer a strict respect of tradition and of the "old definition" of sport)...

diversity? definitely, yes...

to much of a "modern touch"? no, thanks

there are many other chances for those (in any case often really entertaining) activities...;)

20 minutes ago, phelps said:

I don't have problems with these sports either (apart from skateboarding, I must admit...), but I think I like to watch them at the X-Games and not at the Olympics (where I prefer a strict respect of tradition and of the "old definition" of sport)...

diversity? definitely, yes...

to much of a "modern touch"? no, thanks

there are many other chances for those (in any case often really entertaining) activities...;)

There are so few viable and popular winter sports, I think it’s kind of ridiculous to leave the “extreme” (is slopestyle really more extreme than alpine skiing?) sports out of the winter games.

il y a 32 minutes, Nate River a déclaré:

There are so few viable and popular winter sports, I think it’s kind of ridiculous to leave the “extreme” (is slopestyle really more extreme than alpine skiing?) sports out of the winter games.

This. My only repproach would be the duplicates between the snowoard and freestyle skiing events, specially the ones who were born out of the snowboarding world.

Half pipe and snowboarding, yes very much ! Half pipe ans skiing: meh.

1 hour ago, Nate River said:

But surely there must be better things than big air or slopestyle, especially on the women's side? I've seen both of them a few times this season and, apart from maybe Anna Gasser, nothing happens. Half of them do like one turn, and if they land in a decent way they get a top-10. 

At least in freestyle skiing there's a bit more of a spectacular 'look' to it sometimes. 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

30 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

This. My only repproach would be the duplicates between the snowoard and freestyle skiing events, specially the ones who were born out of the snowboarding world.

Half pipe and snowboarding, yes very much ! Half pipe ans skiing: meh.

I am personally a big proponent of snowboarding / freestyle skiing equality :p

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

But surely there must be better things than big air or slopestyle, especially on the women's side? I've seen both of them a few times this season and, apart from maybe Anna Gasser, nothing happens. Half of them do like one turn, and if they land in a decent way they get a top-10. 

At least in freestyle skiing there's a bit more of a spectacular 'look' to it sometimes. 

Slopestyle is pretty great, at least on the men’s side. Not so good on the women’s side with the exception of a few athletes (Kelly Sildaru justify the existence of women’s ski slopestyle on her own, sadly she is injured) but it’s just a sport where the gap is more apparent than others. When you look at something like half pipe it’s a case of the women being about a decade behind the men in terms of the tricks they perform.

Big Air I don’t care for, but it has the advantage of being “urban” (in the literal sense of the word, it’s one of the few snow sport you can hold in a big city) so I can see why it’s appealing to the IOC. I don’t think it’s a great TV package but, whatever, at least the men’s contests are really competitive.