website statistics

Women's Football FIFA World Cup 2019

Mkbw50

On 09/06/2019 at 19:16, bestmen said:

that's why they defeated Brazil and got the 1/4 during the last edition while Italy was not in

CrGE.jpg

I agree with you, very surprisng result, the same is true for Japan - Argentina. A lot of former superpowers like Australia, Japan, Brazil or Germany seem to struggle, while new superpowers like the Netherlands, Spain or Italy seem to emerge.

I just looked at the draw and this seems to be the first draw in a long time that isn't rigged. France has to face Norway in the group phase and then probably USA in the round of last 8! Pretty tragic that the 2 favorites will probably face off that early in the tournament. Also Germany will have to win the group ahead of Spain, otherwise they will be eliminated in the round of last 16 against USA. I just looked at the draw and the semifinals should be Norway/England vs. USA/France and Germany/Sweden/Canada vs. Brazil/Netherlands/Japan. If everything goes according to plan, then the final should be USA/France vs. Netherlands and the european olympic spots should go to Norway/England, the Netherlands and France or Sweden/Germany. I just don't understand why Europe only gets 3 spots at the olympic tournament ... there are 12 spots and 6 out of the 10 best teams in the world are from Europe ...

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

I just don't understand why Europe only gets 3 spots at the olympic tournament ... there are 12 spots and 6 out of the 10 best teams in the world are from Europe ...

It is representation, obviously. What is really bad is not this, but the fact that women’s football is played with the best players while men’s is not and women’s only have 12 teams. But even worse is the fact that football has a fixed amount of teams per continent: apart from 1 team for each of them, the others should be selected on a world level, maybe giving priority to continental qualification. Eventually, since football is the most popular sport on Earth, an idea of a Universal Qualifier like in 3x3 basketball should be taken in consideration

5 hours ago, AlFHg said:

It is representation, obviously. What is really bad is not this, but the fact that women’s football is played with the best players while men’s is not and women’s only have 12 teams. But even worse is the fact that football has a fixed amount of teams per continent: apart from 1 team for each of them, the others should be selected on a world level, maybe giving priority to continental qualification. Eventually, since football is the most popular sport on Earth, an idea of a Universal Qualifier like in 3x3 basketball should be taken in consideration

The universal qualifier was mostly done in 3x3 to avoid continental representation. Sadly, clubs have too much power for there to be a two stage qualifier in football. Though I guess for women they could have had a tournament during the same time as the SheBelieves/Algarve/Cyprus Cups which includes the best performing nations from their respective continental championships (minus nations already qualified).

2 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The universal qualifier was mostly done in 3x3 to avoid continental representation. Sadly, clubs have too much power for there to be a two stage qualifier in football. Though I guess for women they could have had a tournament during the same time as the SheBelieves/Algarve/Cyprus Cups which includes the best performing nations from their respective continental championships (minus nations already qualified).

3x3 basketball has however only 8 places, so it makes sense. The idea of this kind of qualifying tournaments for some sports like (men’s) football, beach volley, tennis is not that bad, but it obviously requires an increase in quotas first. For the other problems you said, a possible resolution may be using world and continental championships as qualifying tournaments, but it’s more a parallel universe that a remote hope, sadly