website statistics

Formula 1 FIA World Championship 2021

Totallympics

2 minutes ago, Laraja said:

I dont like this idea either. But let's give them a chance to try something different. hahaha

They could and should use some junior category for that, this is like trying out completely new formats in the Olympics without any testing :p 

Just like that dramatic qualifying format they had a few years ago for one or two races, where at certain times the slowest driver would be eliminated, resulting in basically no action on the track for 15 minutes straight :lol: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Americans from Liberty throwing bullshit ideas and trying to lure the mythical "new fans" :p  I'm totally against the sprint race crap and I hope it fails soon enough. Good luck in trying to force excitement over 10th place in a race where only Top 3 get points. Saving engine & gearbox mileage is paramount so nobody will risk anything in sprint races :dunno:

18 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Americans from Liberty throwing bullshit ideas and trying to lure the mythical "new fans" :p  I'm totally against the sprint race crap and I hope it fails soon enough. Good luck in trying to force excitement over 10th place in a race where only Top 3 get points. Saving engine & gearbox mileage is paramount so nobody will risk anything in sprint races :dunno:

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

They could and should use some junior category for that, this is like trying out completely new formats in the Olympics without any testing :p 

Just like that dramatic qualifying format they had a few years ago for one or two races, where at certain times the slowest driver would be eliminated, resulting in basically no action on the track for 15 minutes straight :lol: 

You guys are right. I hadn't thought about this possibility with juniors, or this thing with engines.

But, for me, F1 is so boring lately, that everything new that they try, I already appreciate it

32 minutes ago, Laraja said:

You guys are right. I hadn't thought about this possibility with juniors, or this thing with engines.

But, for me, F1 is so boring lately, that everything new that they try, I already appreciate it

But adding artificial 'excitement' is never really exciting. Plus, this is not something that is going to make Mercedes less dominant, the opposite actually: if they have a shitty qualifying on Friday (which is probably during regular work hours), they can just DRS their way to the front on Saturday and still start in the front in the Grand Prix on Sunday.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Nice explanatory video for those less “in the know” about F1 (or for causal fans) about the sprint qualification. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

And to add to that: it's an extra chance for the top teams to make sure they remain the top teams. The smaller the team, the more this sucks.

Yep, that's the hidden bonus for Mercedes and Red Bull in particular (not so hidden if you know where to look). Gone will be the days of pit wall screw-ups when team leave their cars in garage thinking the time is safe and then it looks silly when it's not. Sprint quals will make sure all the fastest cars will start at the front of the grid all the time. And Liberty calls this excitement? Bunch of idiots.

This sprint race is like the stages of a NASCAR race, they just take a break for a full day between the stages. People should view the sprint race as that, an addition to the race where they take a break between the two stages, like at NASCAR, the real qualification will be on Friday. Liberty only calls this sprint race qualification because people would be even more angry if they would call it "Race Stage 1", while the race on Sunday "Race Stage 2". 

Just now, Vektor said:

This sprint race is like the stages of a NASCAR race, they just take a break for a full day between the stages. People should view the sprint race as that, an addition to the race where they take a break between the two stages, like at NASCAR, the real qualification will be on Friday. LIberty only calls this sprint race qualification because people would be even more angry if they would call it "Race Stage 1", while the race on Sunday "Race Stage 2". 

Because the race on Sunday is still a full distance Grand Prix, at least for now that doesn't change. I wouldn't say it's very comparable with the stages in NASCAR, since those are all actually part of the one race. Screw up the first part with significant damage, and you're out for the whole thing.

Cars can be easily rebuild overnight. Since reliability is basically a non-factor in F1 these days (least of all among the top teams) these qual races will be a boring procession all the time IMO. Hell, FIA even said they won't be using this format on all tracks even if it gets expanded. Even Liberty can't sell the "overtaking excitement" on tracks like Monaco or the Abu Dhabi borefest. They know even those mythical "new fans" can't be that stupid.