website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup 2019

mrv86

heartbreaking for Uruguay :( they almost had a great comeback in last 3-4 minutes. they were down 12 or 13 but at the end they were just a 3 pointer away from the overtime but they missed it.

Puerto Rico is the last qualified teams. people talk everywhere about how bad is this system and blah blah but at the end of the day we have only 3 "surprises" , Cameroon in Africa, and Croatia and Slovenia. the other 29 teams were predictable to qualify. and I only feel sorry for Cameroon here. they were victim of that stupid format in Africa. if they had both groups at the same dates we would have a different team in the World Cup. even though in general this comparing teams from different groups idea and having the best .3rd/4th placed teams to qualify without playing an extra game was stupid. :thumbdown:

6 ore fa, LDOG ha scritto:

Yeah, Cameroon could have been a force at the world cup with Pascal Siakam and Joel Embiid. A real pity.

Embiid would have not played the WC in any case...I'm pretty sure about that...

he's too important to his NBA team and he's too much injury prone...he's gonna spend all Summer having physio and resting, nothing else...

apparently the seeding for the draw will be based on the World Ranking. with China being seed 1. and I guess teams from the same continent won't be in the same group (of course except Europe)

http://www.fiba.basketball/rankingmen/

Pot 1: :CHN:USA:ESP:FRA:SRB:ARG:LTU:GRE

Pot 2: :RUS:AUS:BRA:ITA:PUR:TUR:DOM:VEN

Pot 3: :GER:CAN:CZE:POL:IRI:MNE:PHI:KOR

Pot 4: :NGR:SEN:NZL:ANG:JPN:JOR:TUN:CIV

if they go with this, I think teams in pot 2 and pot 3 are not in the same level. but remember for example we won't have more than 1 Asian team in each group. all African teams are in pot 4 so that won't be a problem but seriously full squad Nigeria is probably even stronger than couple of teams in Pot 2 !

I hope China get something like Turkey, Canada and Nigeria :d all 5 Asian teams (I didn't count Olympic host Japan) most probably won't pass the first round. so even 1pt matters here for the Olympic Qualification. there will be repechage for eliminated teams but still not a "complete repechage table" teams will be ranked after playing at least 5 games. 3 in 1st round and 2 in classification round. if we end up in the same group with likes of USA, Lithuania and Spain they usually massacre weaker teams but Argentina for example is usually nice and wins those kind of games by one digit. :d but whoever gets Argentina from the Asian teams will get Russia, Italy or Turkey from the 2nd pot. thats a sure thing we will have one African team in our group. (hopefully not Nigeria)

but after all China is clear favorite for the Asian quota, they are the host and as top seed will get an easier group but to be honest they also have the best team amongst the Asians right now.

22 minutes ago, LDOG said:

I'm not so sure there will be total continental separation for anyone that isn't europe. That's more of a FIFA thing. Or is there some oficial statement?

This article says "The complete draw procedures, based on the ranking and geographical principles, will be published during the week"

http://www.fiba.basketball/en/news/top-seeds-for-fiba-basketball-world-cup-2019-draw-confirmed-in-latest-nike-world-ranking-men

I remember 2010 and 2014 draw when they didn't let more than one Africa or Asian team in the same group. this time they have 8 groups. so they can completely separate teams from the same continent . that's what I assumed. but of course we have to wait for the official announcement.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

I remember 2010 and 2014 draw when they didn't let more than one Africa or Asian team in the same group. this time they have 8 groups. so they can completely separate teams from the same continent . that's what I assumed. but of course we have to wait for the official announcement.

Yes, but it wasn't explicit restriction, africans and asians were just placed in the same pot. We still got Puerto Rico for example.

I think this time it could be "no more than 2 from the same continent" or something. Otherwise there won't be much to draw past a certain point, but who knows...

Edited by LDOG

53 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Yes, but it wasn't explicit restriction, africans and asians were just placed in the same pot. We still got Puerto Rico for example.

I think this time it could be "no more than 2 from the same continent" or something. Otherwise there won't be much to draw past a certain point, but who knows...

yeah but last time we had only 4 groups and 6 teams from FIBA Americas. this time they have more groups that's the difference