website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup 2019

mrv86

I think - looking over historical results - Australia is one of those countries ( like USA and Canada ) that isn't nearly as fussed about the World Champs as the Olympics . Remember they are effectively in a continent of two ( them and NZ ) so that unlike say Europe there isn't a lot of national team emphasis outside Olympics

( Actually USA and Australia can afford to take this position  and still qualify for Olympics -Canada can't  ) 

All these countries  lacks that old pro tactics experience in FIBA International play that the major European countries have and have to rely on playing ability alone 

I've read that there are a no of Australian NBA players who while Australian born and raised have mixed US Australian  ancestry who have gone US native and only make themselves available for Olympics . Expect Australia to be better and smarter next year 

6 minutes ago, rajiv said:

I think - looking over historical results - Australia is one of those countries ( like USA and Canada ) that isn't nearly as fussed about the World Champs as the Olympics . Remember they are effectively in a continent of two ( them and NZ ) so that unlike say Europe there isn't a lot of national team emphasis outside Olympics

( Actually USA and Australia can afford to take this position  and still qualify for Olympics -Canada can't  ) 

All these countries  lacks that old pro tactics experience in FIBA International play that the major European countries have and have to rely on playing ability alone 

I've read that there are a no of Australian NBA players who while Australian born and raised have mixed US Australian  ancestry who have gone US native and only make themselves available for Olympics . Expect Australia to be better and smarter next year 

but Spain defeated stronger Australian Squad in Rio and took the bronze medal , well for me Spain has been the 2nd power nation in FIBA just after the US in the last 15 years , for Australia with some NBA players they'll be real favorites for a medal actually they're right now 

I'm still quite devastated for our Aussie cousins. They really should've won that. They actually led by 10 at one stage in the 4th. But the sad thing is mainstream media a lot like NZ probably wouldn't care the slightest and will just overlook it. Even when they were winning. It's AFL season now and I see sellout crowds tonight ?

Edited by Joshi

Great result for Argentina with a team that isn't even among their most talented in recent memory and certainly isn't top 10 in the world when it comes to individual talent, but they played with a lot of passion and that was enough against a french team that clearly didn't have the same intensity as in their game against the US. I feared that the french players would lose their focus after their win against the US and that is exactly what happened. I think everyone can be happy about this result at least a bit. Argentinian people have enough sorrows at home and this result certainly will cheer them up for a while.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.