website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

4 hours ago, opruh said:

Olympics is losing popularity fast, no one will bat an eye at the removal of weightlifting. They can even remove swimming and no one will care except for swimmers. Sad reality but it's time to accept that the olympics is a relic of the past. Social phenomenon like TikTok already replaced the olympics in the hearts and minds of the youth.

That's simply not true. NBC even paid to have Swimming in the time slot they wanted.

6 hours ago, opruh said:

Olympics is losing popularity fast, no one will bat an eye at the removal of weightlifting. They can even remove swimming and no one will care except for swimmers. Sad reality but it's time to accept that the olympics is a relic of the past. Social phenomenon like TikTok already replaced the olympics in the hearts and minds of the youth.

And before tiktok it was snapchat, before that Instagram, before that twitter, before that Facebook, before that chat rooms and before all of them video games and before that even TV was being talked about as a reason for ‘the youth’ being less interested in sport

People have more choices than ever before but sport and the Olympics is still huge

10 hours ago, George_D said:

Olympics are for all fans all over the world not for those from France only..

Absolutely, but I think it's fair to say weightlifting is, globally speaking, just not a huge sport in terms of viewing numbers. There's a strong and dedicated following, but I truly wonder which percentage of all the Olympic viewers watched even one second of weightlifting in the past few Olympics.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

28 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Absolutely, but I think it's fair to say weightlifting is, globally speaking, just not a huge sport in terms of viewing numbers. There's a strong and dedicated following, but I truly wonder which percentage of all the Olympic viewers watched even one second of weightlifting in the past few Olympics.

It seemed reasonably popular in the UK as the BBC had two dedicated commentators cover the highlights of every final including the majority that had no British participants. For some sports like Artistic Swimming the highlights used OBS commentators. 

2 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

The IOC would never scrap one of the most popular sports no matter how corrupt and doped the governing body is. 

Oh well. I guess we will never know unless some other federation becomes as messed up as IWF, which seems incredibly unlikely to ever happen.

#banbestmen

31 minutes ago, dcro said:

What on earth does popularity have to do with weightlifting's current situation?

It was about 'this will not be good for Paris 2024 because a historic sport will not be on the program', which led to how it most likely won't matter at all for Paris 2024 as a whole.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 7 months later...