website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

3 minutes ago, NearPup said:

According to ITG's blog post we don't know what boxing, climbing, fencing, golf, skateboarding, surfing or weightlifting are up to. The math still doesn't work out but it gets a lot closer. Actually we know for a fact that climbing did request and will obtain two additional events.

But yes, the lack of transparency is a huge problem. You have ridiculous situations where athletes and national federations don't even know what events are being proposed in their own sports (see: monobob for Beijing 2022).

Not to mention events being added before they even have a serious competition circuit. As again, monobob.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Wait, I just realized I'm confused: wasn't the 50k race walk going to get killed after Tokyo? :yikes: 

Maybe they just want to add women's 50 km race and keep the men's event out as planned. :p

Or, more likely, it is the last ditch effort to save the event.

#banbestmen

See, here’s a big change from an original proposal that was floated earlier this year.

FINA said it proposed adding high diving as an exhibition event at the Paris Games, possibly leading into a medal event from 2028 onward. FINA did not propose adding any medal events in swimming or diving for 2024.

First off, I’ll give FINA points for creativity. It’s actually not a bad proposal in my opinion. However, it’s very different from what they originally floated as their proposal. High Diving was going to be a medal event in 2024. They were going to ask the IOC to include the remaining 50m events not currently on the program. There was also some talk about 1m Diving events, and 12 teams women’s water polo, but I don’t think FINA themselves ever pursued that. However, last I heard, FINA is asking the IOC to increase the open water events from 25 swimmers to 30 swimmers for both genders. Again though, that’s not being reported now, so who the hell knows what’s going on with that.

This soap opera is becoming increasingly hard to keep up with.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 minutes ago, dcro said:

Maybe they just want to add women's 50 km race and keep the men's event out as planned. :p

Or, more likely, it is the last ditch effort to save the event.

In that case I'm all for it, I can handle a mostly non-competitive event (who knows, maybe one day it will be competitive) if that keeps the most epic of epic events in the Olympics :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

By IOC rules, FINA had to focus more on fixing the umbalance issue at Artistic Swimming before trying to add something new. Same for FIG and Rythmic Gimnastics.

Why try to add aerobics or parkour when men can't still compete at one of their sports? At least FINA is, slowly, working on that and male artistic performers can compete at World or European championships.

I'm still waiting FIG does SOMETHING. We all know what would happend if an International Federation would directly refuse to let the one gender take part in an sport in any way........

Just now, Jur said:

By IOC rules, FINA had to focus more on fixing the umbalance issue at Artistic Swimming before trying to add something new. Same for FIG and Rythmic Gimnastics.

Why try to add aerobics or parkour when men can't still compete at one of their sports? At least FINA is, slowly, working on that and male artistic performers can compete at World or European championships.

I'm still waiting FIG does SOMETHING. We all know what would happend if an International Federation would directly refuse to let the one gender take part in an sport in any way........

Gender quality only works for women. IF men get the shaft its still gender equality in the eye of the IOC. In the eyes of Olympic fans its hypocrisy 

2 hours ago, NearPup said:

If the FIG is so desperate to add new events just propose tumbling...

They could just add medal events for teams in each apparatus in artistic gymnastics. 10 new medal events and lots of medal opportunities for Russia, Japan, Great Britain, United States and China (and also decent chances for France, Italy, Spain, Brazil, South Korea, Ukraine and Canada). The added cost would be zero.

Besides, they could create a "mixed" gymnastics event comprising artistic, rhythmic and trampoline gymnastics. Maybe FIG could even get away with gender equality in all disciplines by doing this (I mean, rhythmic gymnastics would compete alongside men from other disciplines, after all). Once again, the added cost would be zero.

Here is the ICF’s proposal for Canoe Sprint: 

The men’s and women’s K1 200 will not be contested in Paris.  Under the changes, the men’s K2 1000 and C2 1000 will both become 500 metre events.

There will be K4 500 races for both men and women.  The blue riband events of K1 1000 for men, C1 1000m and K1 500 for women remain unchanged.

The women’s C1 200 and C2 500, which will be raced at an Olympics for the first time next year in Tokyo, remain unchanged for Paris 2024.

Honestly, they should just change W C1 200m to W C1 500m.

I’m not the biggest fan of the K2 and C2 becoming 500m races, but I’m sure there was more pressure from the IOC there.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela