website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

On 20/06/2020 at 09:27, Olympian1010 said:

@intoronto I would guess ISSF is asking for Mixed Team Skeet, which would probably just be rubber-stamped by the IOC.  

Called it. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Called it. 

this makes more sense than all the other jokes reported in the last few months, but still...

I just can't stand those mixed gender team events anymore...this thing's really got pandemic...:yikes: :facepalm: :hairpull:

and the most recent news about Bach's unopposed candidature for another mandate as the IOC President could make more damages than another Trump's mandate as US President...:nopompom: :wall:

17 minutes ago, phelps said:

this makes more sense than all the other jokes reported in the last few months, but still...

I just can't stand those mixed gender team events anymore...this thing's really got pandemic...:yikes: :facepalm: :hairpull:

and the most recent news about Bach's unopposed candidature for another mandate as the IOC President could make more damages than another Trump's mandate as US President...:nopompom: :wall:

Totally agree, they're pushing way too hard these mixed gender events, I wonder what the perception of it will be in Tokyo, as it could also backlash on the IOC if everything becomes more "artificial".

And I'm not even gonna comment on your last statement :facepalm:

So they removed the traditional 500 m events to bring in the more "hip and exciting" 200 m events, just to have the same removed after only 2-3 Olympics to bring in the next new "hip and exciting" flavor. And people wonder why ICF are a broke, bottom of the barrel federation in the Olympic family (and probably even outside of it).

4 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

So they removed the traditional 500 m events to bring in the more "hip and exciting" 200 m events, just to have the same removed after only 2-3 Olympics to bring in the next new "hip and exciting" flavor. And people wonder why ICF are a broke, bottom of the barrel federation in the Olympic family (and probably even outside of it).

I don’t know how much of this is the ICF’s fault. They’ve basically been asked/told to accept these changes by the IOC, or face loosing their place on the Olympic program. 

The ICF has it’s faults like every other international sports federation, but I’ve always found the ICF to be one of the better ones. They’ve done a fairly good job of growing the sport the last couple of years. They have a strong World Cup circuit. They broadcast all their major events. I’m not the most familiar with the politics of the ICF, but it seems like they are under good governance. Overall, they’re a solid IF in my opinion.

Canoe has been ever evolving distance wise. Began with 1000m and 10000m races, then 500m races, then 200m races, and now we see the occasional 5000m race at multi-sports games.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Atr reports k1200 is confirmed dropped from Paris program .....

Rip

Good riddance on the 200 events IMO. I just wish they'd replace them with 5000m events rather than with that BS and extremely boring kayakcross thing.

Like, I'm all for the X-Gamification of the Olympics. Freestyle skiing is my favourite Olympic sport, I love slopestyle, I love half-pipe, I love ski/snowboardcross, I tolerate big air, I like BMX racing, I'm super happy about skateboarding, surfing and BMX freestyle being added to the Olympics. Kayakcross (I refuse to call it anything else) is a neat idea in theory but it just doesn't work on an artificial whitewater course, and it hasn't caught on in the same way all the other events I have listed above have. The Olympics needed snowboarding, freestyle skiing, skateboarding and surfing way more than those sports needed the Olympics. "Extreme canoe slalom", on the other hand, needs the Olympics to grow.