website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

6 minutes ago, intoronto said:

In theory cross-country can be held in the first week of the games. Remember the Youth Olympics had the cross-country solely composed of those qualified in distance events.

Which is what I considered in my post above.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Maybe a track built within the Eventing Course (without the jumps obvs) -  a MTB track would be very hard.  Hill running is a sport in itself, really.  Or the golf course perhaps.

yeah, definitely better to locate a Cross-Country race on the Eventing and/or Golf course...

or even a big City Park could be an option...I remember one of the best CC courses at the world champs happened to be in Turin city centre, at the Park of Valentino...

and I'm pretty sure that a place like Hyde Park in London or Central Park in New York (just to name a couple of the most famous city parks in the world) would be able to host a memorable CC (Olympic) race...

41 minutes ago, intoronto said:

In theory cross-country can be held in the first week of the games. Remember the Youth Olympics had the cross-country solely composed of those qualified in distance events.

yeah, my idea would be to hold CC races as the first medal event of the Games, on the first Saturday morning...especially when it's almost impossible to have the Marathon run as the final event because of weather conditions...

• 4 weeks later...

So, the off-shore sailing event proposed for Paris 2024 is starting to attract some interesting names:

For Spain: Iker Martinez (2004 49er gold medallist, 2008 49er silver) and Natalia Via Dufresne (Silver in Barcelona92 in Europe and in 2004 in 470) have team for the next European Championships...

With it being a more skill-driven tham physical event, I can see a lot of older great sailors giving it a go!

• 2 months later...

Modern Pentathlon is sheeking approbal for a new competition format (the one I found rather odd...). They also proposed a mixed relay event.

https://amp.marca.com/olimpismo/2020/10/27/5f98344d46163f39448b4620.html

The idea is a  1 day event. All happening in 90 minutes and all in the same stadium (a gigant one, I imagine.....).

Jumping now go first, and it would take only 20 minutes. Then is a 10 minute recess, then the fencing part, done with in 15 minutes. Anothger 10 minute break, 15 minutes for the whole swimming competition. Another 10 minutes rest ant the combined event.

5 minutes ago, Jur said:

a gigant one, I imagine.....

6 lanes, 25 m pool is not that huge, parcour will be smaller (9 obstacles, 12 jumps - one double, one triple), the piste is on the same stage as podium and the running course will be shorter (600 m) and the range will have 12 stands only (+reserve - probably two). The one in Budapest did not seem bigger than a football pitch.

The other thing is what do athletes say: "the end", "they killed the modern pentathlon", "the heart might stop", "did athletes have any vote on this ever?"... the decision is not final and luckily the IOC will gather in December, while the UIPM Congress to approve it will be next year, when the Paris 2024 spot will be sure. Some are however worried about LA 2028 - if we change the sport every four years, it's not spectator-friendly. Athletes (mostly Irish ones) insist on changing in marketing and TV coverage instead of such drastic changes in the format and accepting it (by EB, not finally yet, but...) after just two tests - one in Hungary, one in Egypt. Most of the world didn't have any chance to try it.

• 4 weeks later...

Confirmation of what we all assumed World Taekwondo wished to add: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1101169/world-taekwondo-mixed-team-paris-2024

I’m a little surprised they haven’t asked the IOC to include Poomsae.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

19 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Team events in combat sports should be banned.

Fixed it.