website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

16 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

IAAF propose to add the cross country in the Olympic event with a mixed relay

that's pure sh*t! c'mon, man! how can they even think about this?

I wouldn't like it the same, but frankly I'd be more OK with the men and women's Individual Cross-Country events replacing the 10,000m on the Track, rather than another senseless mixed gender farce like this...:facepalm: :wall: 

they are really trying to ruin the Olympics...we must stop those idiots once and forever...:hairpull:

47 minutes ago, phelps said:

I wouldn't like it the same, but frankly I'd be more OK with the men and women's Individual Cross-Country events replacing the 10,000m on the Track, rather than another senseless mixed gender farce like this...:facepalm: :wall: 

they are really trying to ruin the Olympics...we must stop those idiots once and forever...:hairpull:

Cross-country is very boring in hot, dry weather 

1 hour ago, phelps said:

I am sure the IAAF wants separate events, but they know the IOC has a fetish for mixed events...

1 hour ago, phelps said:

If cross-country is to replace anything, then that can only be 3000 m steeplechase.

Steeplechase event was basically introduced to recreate cross-country conditions within a stadium.

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

If cross-country is to replace anything, then that can only be 3000 m steeplechase.

Steeplechase event was basically introduced to recreate cross-country conditions within a stadium.

That's an interesting tidbit, would be a good idea to replace it then (makes 0 sense to have two events that are supposed to be the same). They could also run the cross-country on the mountain biking course? Would that even be feasible? Otherwise, if the event needs a new venue, it would be DOA to the IOC.

40 minutes ago, intoronto said:

That's an interesting tidbit, would be a good idea to replace it then (makes 0 sense to have two events that are supposed to be the same). They could also run the cross-country on the mountain biking course? Would that even be feasible? Otherwise, if the event needs a new venue, it would be DOA to the IOC.

Maybe a track built within the Eventing Course (without the jumps obvs) -  a MTB track would be very hard.  Hill running is a sport in itself, really.  Or the golf course perhaps.

17 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Maybe a track built within the Eventing Course (without the jumps obvs) -  a MTB track would be very hard.  Hill running is a sport in itself, really.  Or the golf course perhaps.

Those are very commonly used for cross country in the US. 

I will say that the terms “cross country” and “hill running” are pretty much interchangeable in California. Most of the big high school invitationals have decent sized hills on the course. My favorite courses had climbs with 12% grades.

The building an alternate trail for cross country into the Eventing course would be more realistic than using the MTB course. The problem with MTB is that the course is mostly single track, and that wouldn’t work well for cross country.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I tried figuring out different methods for quota allocation for the Cross Country Relay yesterday. I had the idea that athletes already assigned quotas for the distance races in track could be used to form the teams for the relay (meaning that no additional quotas would be needed, making this a fine addition to the program). However, it just seemed impossible to add the Cross Country Relay without athletes having to sacrifice their results in the individual events. So World Athletics (not IAAF you heathens) would have to get the IOC to add yet more quotas to Athletics. For me, this event isn’t worth adding to the program (which means the IOC will probably add it).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I will say that the terms “cross country” and “hill running” are pretty much interchangeable in California. Most of the big high school invitationals have decent sized hills on the course. My favorite courses had climbs with 12% grades.

Very definitely a different sport here in Europe, much rougher, steeper tracks for hill running.  Really a hardcore sport for amateurs or part-timers.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

The building an alternate trail for cross country into the Eventing course would be more realistic than using the MTB course. The problem with MTB is that the course is mostly single track, and that wouldn’t work well for cross country.

In theory cross-country can be held in the first week of the games. Remember the Youth Olympics had the cross-country solely composed of those qualified in distance events.