website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

This talk about individual/team sports reminds me of my seminar when I was writing a Hungarian-Polish-English sports dictionary and I needed to explain to my teacher that canoeing is not a "team sport", despite the fact there is K4 event. ;)

an interview with some Azerbaijani official (also has a position in UWW) made some headlines in wrestling community , that guy claims Greco-Roman will be replaced by Beach Wrestling ! :yikes: they did that for 2022 YOG and will do the same for 2024 Paris. (according to the Azeri guy)

to me it's really hard to believe that UWW will propose such a thing ! the current UWW president is from Serbia , and in most European countries Greco is more active than freestyle. in fact we usually have more wrestlers in Greco-Roman compeititon comparing to freestyle. replacing this with beach wrestling nonsense is like crime against humanity ! :thumbdown:

28 minutes ago, MHSN said:

an interview with some Azerbaijani official (also has a position in UWW) made some headlines in wrestling community , that guy claims Greco-Roman will be replaced by Beach Wrestling ! :yikes: they did that for 2022 YOG and will do the same for 2024 Paris. (according to the Azeri guy)

to me it's really hard to believe that UWW will propose such a thing ! the current UWW president is from Serbia , and in most European countries Greco is more active than freestyle. in fact we usually have more wrestlers in Greco-Roman compeititon comparing to freestyle. replacing this with beach wrestling nonsense is like crime against humanity ! :thumbdown:

Seems as though I was correct in my original prediction then. Myself and @Vojthas seem to know these federations too well.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Seems as though I was correct in my original prediction then. Myself and @Vojthas seem to know these federations too well.

This is still a rumor, I knew UWW wants some Beach Wrestling events, I think I was the one writing that here but only as additional events (which will be rejected by anybody with a brain) not to replace the oldest version of wrestling.

I still can't believe UWW willingly decides to drop Greco, right now wrestling (as whole) is safe , UWW is in no danger to drop Greco willingly. and beach wrestling is such a terrible idea, it's very similar to freestyle. all freestyle rejectees try their chance there. the Iranian guy who won the World Beach Games in super heavy weight can't even make it into top 5 (or even top 10) in the country in freestyle.

I know IOC probably loves the idea of having 3 events in Beach wrestling for each gender instead of 6 male Greco events but my point is, UWW is not going to propose that. there are lots of Greco guys in UWW bureau, they will never vote to kill their sport.

I think our federation is going to ask UWW about what they proposed to IOC, it's possible to know more about this in few days.

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

I'm not sure this is correct. Usually new events are trialed a the YOG then Olympics. Hopefully this Azeri guy is wrong.

But we have this; https://wrestlingtv.in/beach-wrestling-to-be-included-in-paris-2024-olympics-report/ Beach wrestling for women only. But where will these quotas come from? 16 is the bare minimum per event imo for combat events, which is how it is now.

11 minutes ago, intoronto said:

But we have this; https://wrestlingtv.in/beach-wrestling-to-be-included-in-paris-2024-olympics-report/ Beach wrestling for women only. But where will these quotas come from? 16 is the bare minimum per event imo for combat events, which is how it is now.

This makes sense if UWW asks for women's beach wrestling events, it doesn't mean IOC is going to give that to them.

even though it just came to my mind , maybe they are thinking about using the same female freestyle wrestlers for the beach wrestling ? :facepalm: no more quota but more events, we can't say for certain that IOC won't like such an idea.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

This makes sense if UWW asks for women's beach wrestling events, it doesn't mean IOC is going to give that to them.

even though it just came to my mind , maybe they are thinking about using the same female freestyle wrestlers for the beach wrestling ? :facepalm: no more quota but more events, we can't say for certain that IOC won't like such an idea.

It would be smart. You yourself already said there’s already a large crossover between the two. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

UWW has now 18 medal events.

How about:

4 men's freestyle

4 men's greco-roman

2 mens beach

6 women's freestyle

4 women beach

If they used the same athletes from Freestyle to Beach, I don't think IOC would oppose to giving them 2 more events so they'll have same events per gender.