website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

2 hours ago, NearPup said:

...I actually do prefer watching the team archery event to the individual archery event xD

I do as well. Archery is the perfect sport to chill out and have a drink to :beer:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, dcro said:

They want 7 (!) events in table tennis??

Team events need to go. Replace them with M/W doubles if you will. Team events made some sense back when there was a round robin format in 2008, but since 2012 they have basically been ridiculous. As much as 16 players go to the Olympics to lose one doubles bout within the Round of 16 team match. Those representing Australia and the US have zero hope of anything more. Total waste of quotas.

Adding doubles would give those players a purpose would it not?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, NearPup said:

...there is already a 100m team event. It’s one of the better events on the Athletics program.

I meant adding the results of the top 3 athletes per country after the rounds are done and then give them a medal. Basically new event with no new rounds lol. 

36 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I meant adding the results of the top 3 athletes per country after the rounds are done and then give them a medal. Basically new event with no new rounds lol. 

I actually found the DNA event at the Euro Games fun to watch. I didn’t think I’d ever be down for a team event at the Olympics, but think it could be fun. I don’t want team events per distance though. I would definitely hate that.

if it wasn't for team events (in individual sports) Thomas Bach wouldn't an Olympic Champion :p and probably we had another guy as IOC president. and since I think anybody else could be better than Bach. I think I agree with @LDOG here to hate team events ! :thumbdown:

I hope for no change, all of these proposed events are unnecessary to me. but I'm sure Bach and his friends are going to love some of them :wall:

PS: for wrestling, it's most probably "beach wrestling" UWW stupidly thinks beach wrestling is an interesting idea !!! since Lalovic came to power they wanted to make Greco wrestlers to wrestle naked on upper body (no singlet at all) they think this will attract people to watch wrestling ! :facepalm: that idea failed in Greco but then they created "beach wrestling" for that purpose :d

51 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I actually found the DNA event at the Euro Games fun to watch. I didn’t think I’d ever be down for a team event at the Olympics, but think it could be fun. I don’t want team events per distance though. I would definitely hate that.

...please no. It reminds me of a Survivor challenge. Like, sure, it's fun, but it doesn't follow logically from anything.

I'd much rather see a road race rally, a race walk rally, something for field athletes... but not that random nonsense.

13 minutes ago, MHSN said:

if it wasn't for team events (in individual sports) Thomas Bach wouldn't an Olympic Champion :p and probably we had another guy as IOC president. and since I think anybody else could be better than Bach. I think I agree with @LDOG here to hate team events ! :thumbdown:

I hope for no change, all of these proposed events are unnecessary to me. but I'm sure Bach and his friends are going to love some of them :wall:

PS: for wrestling, it's most probably "beach wrestling" UWW stupidly thinks beach wrestling is an interesting idea !!! since Lalovic came to power they wanted to make Greco wrestlers to wrestle naked on upper body (no singlet at all) they think this will attract people to watch wrestling ! :facepalm: that idea failed in Greco but then they created "beach wrestling" for that purpose :d

The UWW should be more focused on saving Greco Roman wrestling and less focussed on that little vanity project...

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

That's basically what a relay is, just in a more TV friendly version :P

46 minutes ago, NearPup said:

That's basically what a relay is, just in a more TV friendly version :P

It’s a lot more than that in Athletics, but okay.

While I am not a fan of all those (newly created, mixed) team events being added just to fill the void, there are definitely some team events in individual sports which have built up quite a reputation (artistic gymnastics, equestrian, fencing). These are far from just adding up individual scores.

#banbestmen

So knowing a good amount of the proposals and the proposed quota cuts, is there any sports/events y’all would add? Would you change the amount of quotas?