website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

14 hours ago, intoronto said:

Gymnastics:I don't think anything will happen here. Rhythmic gets the women to equal amount of events as the men, and I don't think you can introduce new apparatus for women in artistic. Unlike Artistic swimming, the field is much more competitive. 

I believe there is enough room to decrease the number of quotas.

Currently we have:

Men's artistic: 98 quotas
Women's artistic: 98 quotas
Rhythmic: 26 individual quotas + 70 group quotas
Trampoline: 16 quotas for men + 16 quotas for women

The number of events is the same, but we have 210 women and 114 men.

If there's a push for gender equality in numbers, as well, I believe this could happen:

Men's artistic: 5 gymnasts in 8 teams (40) + 80 individuals
Women's artistic: 5 gymnasts in 8 teams (40) +  20 individuals

Rhythmic gymnastics: 5 gymnasts in 8 groups (40) + 20 individuals
Trampoline: 16 quotas for men + 16 quotas for women

Instead of 12 teams in artistic gymnastics, only 8 teams would be able to qualify. So, 8 teams + 80 individuals in men's artistic gymnastics means that 88 nations would be able to qualify, what is absolutely INSANE. I'm not even sure that there are 88 national federations with active programs in artistic gymnastics right now. Women's artistic gymnastics and rhythmic gymnastics have always been seen as niche disciplines with the same old countries earning medals, and a severe reduction in quotas would make things ten times worse than they already are.

There's also a chance that teams in artistic will keep the current number of gymnasts (4 per team) instead of going back to the 5 per team (as originally planned for 2024). This could potentially open up 8 individual quotas in women's artistic gymnastics, but it would also affect men's artistic gymnastics and now 96 countries would be able to qualify. Once again: I'm not even sure that there are that many countries competing at the World Championships.

This would lead to 52 less quotas.

Now, if we consider a slightly different program consisting of the same number of events, I believe the following scenario could be feasible:

Men's artistic: 8 teams with 4 gymnasts (32) +  66 individuals = 98 gymnasts
Women's artistic: 8 teams with 4 gymnasts (32) +  33 individuals = 65 gymnasts
Rhythmic: 8 teams with 2 gymnasts (16) + 17 individuals = 33 gymnasts
Trampoline: 16 quotas for men + 16 quotas for women = 32 gymnasts

In rhythmic gymnastics, groups would be gone. Teams would be composed of 2 gymnasts from the same nation. Events would be 1) team all-around and 2) individual all-around, instead of the current format (group all-around and individual all-around).

This would lead to 96 less quotas. Wow!

Either way, these options seem completely insane to me and would nearly kill both women's artistic gymnastics and rhythmic gymnastics.

Or they could have a backbone for damn once (i know, it is very unusual for the IOC fools) and say it is impossible to have a pure Men = Women quotas in every f'n sport. It's completely normal to have in gymnastics and swimming more women, just like it is normal to have more men in boxing and wrestling. If we get yet another reduction in the men's boxing categories, just to add more women ones with 5 people contesting, when men's boxing has a 120 year legacy, while the women have 10-15 years is stupidity of the highest level. 

Some of the new events are discussed here:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1095456/michael-pavitt-if-paris-2024-events-blog

Summary (as we know 20 IF's asked for new events)

IF's requesting new events:

Canoeing (requesting extreme canoe slalom. I would think this means 4 new events)

Gymnastics (requesting two new events, parkour for men/women)

Handball (requesting beach handball, 8 teams per gender, 128 athletes, lets be realistic, not happening)

Modern pentathlon (requesting mixed relay event)

Rowing (Coastal rowing, unknown number of events)

Sailing (new events, proposal is finalized)

Shooting (proposed one new event, think it will be decline because currently there is gender equality)

Table tennis (proposed men's and women's doubles, which I hope is declined). 

Triathlon (proposed one new event, think it will be decline because currently there is gender equality)

IF's not requesting events.

Archery

Equestrian

Field hockey

Football

Tennis

Volleyball

-One sport is missing

Rugby sevens ?? Moved from list below

IF's unknown 

Aquatics - Proposed a lot of events for Tokyo that were declined, perhaps trying again

Athletics - I would assume this has to do with the race walks. ITG reports cross-country perhaps

Badminton - ?? I would think this has to be a mixed team event, only 9 countries qualified athletes across all events in Rio. However, if they stipulate min 2 men and 2 women, 4 more would qualify. A 12 team tournament seems realistic? 

Basketball - What else could they want lol?? A dunk contest/skills competition with all athletes open, would be a glorified version of the NBA event. 

Cycling - ITG reports more "urban events", changes in women's team sprint in track cycling. Could be more events.
Fencing - No clue what would be proposed. They have every event they wanted. Perhaps @phelps could clarify.

Golf - Perhaps a mixed team competition, which all other MSE events have.

Judo - Only thing I can see here is team events per gender, which is ridiculous, but possible.

Taekwondo - Mixed team event. I hope the IOC rejects this.

Weightlifting - Complete gender equality, what else could they want? They would likely want more events, but that would mean less than 12 per category. With the current situation in the IF, I doubt the IOC would approve of anything. 

Wrestling - This is likely done to bring more gender equality, as in adding more women's events.

Out of all these Rugby sevens is clearly the one that will not request any new events. How could it? Which means all other IF's on this list have requested new events.

IF Suspended

Boxing

@intoronto I would guess ISSF is asking for Mixed Team Skeet, which would probably just be rubber-stamped by the IOC.  

@Griff88 Seems as if you’ve underestimated the BWF here. 

I think Basketball could just simply be asking for an increase in teams in the 3x3 tournament. However, @intoronto could be right about the dunk contest/shoot-out.

All-in-all, our guesses from the last few pages seem pretty much spot-on at moment. Only thing that surprised me was the ICF asking for extreme canoe slalom, but I really should have seen that coming in retrospect.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Some of the new events are discussed here:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1095456/michael-pavitt-if-paris-2024-events-blog

Summary (as we know 20 IF's asked for new events)

IF's requesting new events:

Canoeing (requesting extreme canoe slalom. I would think this means 4 new events)

Gymnastics (requesting two new events, parkour for men/women)

Handball (requesting beach handball, 8 teams per gender, 128 athletes, lets be realistic, not happening)

Modern pentathlon (requesting mixed relay event)

Rowing (Coastal rowing, unknown number of events)

Sailing (new events, proposal is finalized)

Shooting (proposed one new event, think it will be decline because currently there is gender equality)

Table tennis (proposed men's and women's doubles, which I hope is declined). 

Triathlon (proposed one new event, think it will be decline because currently there is gender equality)

IF's not requesting events.

Archery

Equestrian

Field hockey

Football

Tennis

Volleyball

-One sport is missing

Rugby sevens ?? Moved from list below

IF's unknown 

Aquatics - Proposed a lot of events for Tokyo that were declined, perhaps trying again

Athletics - I would assume this has to do with the race walks. ITG reports cross-country perhaps

Badminton - ?? I would think this has to be a mixed team event, only 9 countries qualified athletes across all events in Rio. However, if they stipulate min 2 men and 2 women, 4 more would qualify. A 12 team tournament seems realistic? 

Basketball - What else could they want lol?? A dunk contest/skills competition with all athletes open, would be a glorified version of the NBA event. 

Cycling - ITG reports more "urban events", changes in women's team sprint in track cycling. Could be more events.
Fencing - No clue what would be proposed. They have every event they wanted. Perhaps @phelps could clarify.

Golf - Perhaps a mixed team competition, which all other MSE events have.

Judo - Only thing I can see here is team events per gender, which is ridiculous, but possible.

Taekwondo - Mixed team event. I hope the IOC rejects this.

Weightlifting - Complete gender equality, what else could they want? They would likely want more events, but that would mean less than 12 per category. With the current situation in the IF, I doubt the IOC would approve of anything. 

Wrestling - This is likely done to bring more gender equality, as in adding more women's events.

Out of all these Rugby sevens is clearly the one that will not request any new events. How could it? Which means all other IF's on this list have requested new events.

IF Suspended

Boxing

the only event ever contested (at youth level only) that comes to my mind is the mixed gender/mixed weapons team event (basically, 1 representative for each weapon, M + F...the format is a relay like the current single weapon team events)...

frankly, I hope ioc is not going to put this farce forward...FIE already dropped it after experimenting it in a couple of Cadet Worlds, so I don't think there's any request by them, but rather it's the ioc trying to cut the current team events in each weapon to replace them with this dumb event...:mumble:

personally, I'd rather live well without any single team event at the Olympics, but surely I don't want to see that sh*t anymore in my life...especially at the Olympics...

p.s. Judo could also try to push for Kata events...I know IJF is working a lot to promote that discipline within their federations...

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

@intoronto I would guess ISSF is asking for Mixed Team Skeet, which would probably just be rubber-stamped by the IOC.  

@Griff88 Seems as if you’ve underestimated the BWF here. 

I think Basketball could just simply be asking for an increase in teams in the 3x3 tournament. However, @intoronto could be right about the dunk contest/shoot-out.

All-in-all, our guesses from the last few pages seem pretty much spot-on at moment. Only thing that surprised me was the ICF asking for extreme canoe slalom, but I really should have seen that coming in retrospect.

The list about event changes not just quotas.

So this will be decided somewhere this year I suppose? I mean, it's already late to change the sports programme so drastically, surely they're not going to wait until 2021 or even worse, 2022?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, Agger said:

December is the deadline

Thanks. At least the Olympic cycle is shorter now, which in this case is a bit of luck...it's rather bad to make such significant alterations to the program within the Olympic cycle it's about, but December 2020 isn't after Tokyo 2020 anymore :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!