website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

6 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

The fact there will be no baseball/softball in Paris gives us quite a reduction of quota then.

Plus, the 4 sports being added don’t require an insane amount of quotas. Skateboard (96), Sport Climbing (72), Surfing (40), and Breaking (32)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

hace 3 horas, JohnFoyne dijo:

I don't know much about Team Handball and Field Hockey to comment. 

Both sports make constant substitutions.

It would be bad for player's health to reduce 1 in handball (7 on court players with 6 of them running from end to end) and terrible to take 1 from hockey (11 players out of which 7/8 run box-to-box all game).

I would argue that it would be worse to take a quota from these sports than from basketball. 

Here are my predictions. If I remember correctly they said an event by event review will be underway. I suspect the sports without gender equality will be the hardest hit.

I suspect of Aquatics: We will lose Artistic swimming. 24 (teams are now 12) of those quotas will be transferred to water polo to get gender equality. That leaves us with a net total of -80 quotas. If that is the route they are going, swimming will not be touched in terms of quotas. Artistic swimming is arguably the only sport where the medalists can be predicted with 100% confidence. It deserves to go.

Athletics: We will likely see an additional women's race walk event, which will get us full parity in terms of events. I think the street events have way too much quotas among them. If we subtract 20 from each and give the new women's event 60, we are left a net reduction of -40. I think an overall reduction of 128 spots is reasonable across the board, in exchange for the extra women's event.

Boxing: I suspect a men's event will be dropped, and two women's added. 18 per category on avg per event = 252 quotas, a net reduction of 34.

Cycling: Transfer of 9 quotas from road to track to get full gender equality. I would imagine the UCI would be asked to introduce 3 person sprint teams like the men, but if not ready for 2024, they can use the 9 spots elsewhere. That leaves 188 spots for road cycling. I do think the IOC will force the road cycling fields to be equal at 94 each. Which is crazy, I'd suspect the UCI will need to reduce the max per NOC

Football: I think the men's tournament should be 12 teams (after all its not a full strength tournament) and match all other team sports on the program. = Net reduction of 72

Golf: This is not the top competition in the sport. Reduction of 54 to each field. Net reduction of 12

Gymnastics:I don't think anything will happen here. Rhythmic gets the women to equal amount of events as the men, and I don't think you can introduce new apparatus for women in artistic. Unlike Artistic swimming, the field is much more competitive. 

Sailing: The total quota of 350 seems bloated to me. Reduction of 2 boats per event  on avg =30 quotas. 

Tennis: Same story as golf. 82 per gender (basically removing 4 per singles) would do the trick. Net reduction of 8.

Wrestling: I really don't know what will happen here. TBH I don't think anything will happen. The IOC has stated they will aim for gender equality where possible. Its just not possible to add women's greco-roman to a games 4 years away.The sport got a quota cut in 2020 and highly doubt it will happen for 2024 too. Coincidentally, the extra 96 spots women get would be offset here by the 96 extra spots the men get in greco-roman wrestling. 

So by my calculations that would equal a full gender equal games.

We need 364 quotas removed among the core sports (and not a lot of IF's getting affected):

Aquatics -80

Athletics -128

Boxing -34

Golf -12

Football -72

Sailing -30

Tennis -8

=364

46 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Here are my predictions. If I remember correctly they said an event by event review will be underway. I suspect the sports without gender equality will be the hardest hit.

I suspect of Aquatics: We will lose Artistic swimming. 24 (teams are now 12) of those quotas will be transferred to water polo to get gender equality. That leaves us with a net total of -80 quotas. If that is the route they are going, swimming will not be touched in terms of quotas. Artistic swimming is arguably the only sport where the medalists can be predicted with 100% confidence. It deserves to go.

Athletics: We will likely see an additional women's race walk event, which will get us full parity in terms of events. I think the street events have way too much quotas among them. If we subtract 20 from each and give the new women's event 60, we are left a net reduction of -40. I think an overall reduction of 128 spots is reasonable across the board, in exchange for the extra women's event.

Boxing: I suspect a men's event will be dropped, and two women's added. 18 per category on avg per event = 252 quotas, a net reduction of 34.

Cycling: Transfer of 9 quotas from road to track to get full gender equality. I would imagine the UCI would be asked to introduce 3 person sprint teams like the men, but if not ready for 2024, they can use the 9 spots elsewhere. That leaves 188 spots for road cycling. I do think the IOC will force the road cycling fields to be equal at 94 each. Which is crazy, I'd suspect the UCI will need to reduce the max per NOC

Football: I think the men's tournament should be 12 teams (after all its not a full strength tournament) and match all other team sports on the program. = Net reduction of 72

Golf: This is not the top competition in the sport. Reduction of 54 to each field. Net reduction of 12

Gymnastics:I don't think anything will happen here. Rhythmic gets the women to equal amount of events as the men, and I don't think you can introduce new apparatus for women in artistic. Unlike Artistic swimming, the field is much more competitive. 

Sailing: The total quota of 350 seems bloated to me. Reduction of 2 boats per event  on avg =30 quotas. 

Tennis: Same story as golf. 82 per gender (basically removing 4 per singles) would do the trick. Net reduction of 8.

Wrestling: I really don't know what will happen here. TBH I don't think anything will happen. The IOC has stated they will aim for gender equality where possible. Its just not possible to add women's greco-roman to a games 4 years away.The sport got a quota cut in 2020 and highly doubt it will happen for 2024 too. Coincidentally, the extra 96 spots women get would be offset here by the 96 extra spots the men get in greco-roman wrestling. 

So by my calculations that would equal a full gender equal games.

We need 364 quotas removed among the core sports (and not a lot of IF's getting affected):

Aquatics -80

Athletics -128

Boxing -34

Golf -12

Football -72

Sailing -30

Tennis -8

=364

That still leaves 300 short according to @call me matt account, who did the math on all the current quotas for Tokyo 2020.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

This whole debate about where to reduce quotas makes for a nice reading. @intoronto went in quite details about the numbers, but each IF will have to go even further, as the IOC will encourage them to look at quota reduction on event to event basis, keeping in mind the main principles (gender equality a priority).

I would say IFs will have to find a way to get as many athletes as possible to compete in various events (like for example archery, where an athlete competes in 3 events with interesting format, but the quota number is small). But also, we shouldn't take this 10.500 limit by the IOC literally; they are forcing it for a long time, but at every Games the number is exceeded by hundereds. They aim to achieve it, but this doesn't mean they will.

There was talk about droping lightweight events in rowing and replacing them with Coastal Rowing,  I would absolutely LOVE.

Also the new sailing event that was aproved seemed dope. I hope those changes happend.

Some events added last time where a mistake: swimming 1500 and 800, mixed judo team, even BMX freestyle witch I love seems out of place with that short field.... I hope they get ride of those.

And I migth be controversial but I wouldn't mind the six team events in fencing getting droped and just do a all around team event for each gender.

Also team Eventing and Dressage add nothing to the table. Drop them and cut quotas: Two horses per country in each event max.

Also, I would rather had 2 per country in athletics than them droping any event.

And in cycling Men's road race field is way to big and absurd, cut a lot of quotas from there.

13 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

That still leaves 300 short according to @call me matt account, who did the math on all the current quotas for Tokyo 2020.

IOC says 10,616 quotas among the 28 current sports. Those 300 are perhaps for the new sports?

248 (new sports for 2024) + 116 = 364