website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

14 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Believe me, I don’t either. However these fools put Surfing in Tahiti, added Mixed Team Aerials to the Winter Olympics, and went against the majority opinion of Olympic fans and added breaking to 2024. These are just the kind of people that would add Beach Wrestling.

@MHSN Please tell me the UWW wouldn’t try to add a Mixed Team event?

I heard from some UWW officials that they plan to add Beach Wrestling and/or Traditional wrestling but I'm almost sure they will never ask to replace Greco with them. they will ask for some new events and IOC will say no. I would say just keep the current number of events. you can't get more. while freestyle is more interesting but Greco-Roman is the oldest version of wrestling. more countries win medal in Greco, more popular in Europe. I can't imagine UWW dropping that at will. IOC once pushed for dropping Greco in 2004 but FILA/UWW didn't give up.

is that a serious question ? lol or just joking ? :p

unlike Taekwondo for example in wrestling this is impossible for wrestlers to compete against someone heavier. even in Judo that's possible but no chance in wrestling for lighter guys. for having a team event, you need teams to qualify full team in all styles (or full team in specific weights) I think only 1 or 2 countires are capable of that making the whole idea impossible. Judo can do that because of the huge number of quotas.

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Wikipedia has the total at 11,091. It seems no one is really sure on the numbers. I guess I could go through and add up all the quotas, but that’s a lot of work I don’t want to do.

No need to do that, I already added all the numbers up (this means I opened each individual official qualification process document available and summed all the ˝total athletes quotas available˝).

The number of quotas available for Tokyo 2020 through all sports is 11.136, out of which 6.886 has already been distributed, according to my counts. 

41 minutes ago, call me matt said:

No need to do that, I already added all the numbers up (this means I opened each individual official qualification process document available and summed all the ˝total athletes quotas available˝).

The number of quotas available for Tokyo 2020 through all sports is 11.136, out of which 6.886 has already been distributed, according to my counts. 

So we’re losing 636 quotas then @intoronto. I have no clue where they’re going to cut those quotas. Boxing and Weightlifting would be easy drops, but you’re still adding 4 more sports, which basically undoes all of that. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I don't think the IOC is just going to drop any sport, in my opinion they will, for starters, reduce the number of team members in all team sports, a lot can be done by limiting athletics and swimming quotas, and there are also disciplines where small reductions can be done (like equestrian where teams had 4 members in Rio, but will have only 3 in Tokyo). And when we count all these small reductions the numbers could add up

21 minutes ago, call me matt said:

I don't think the IOC is just going to drop any sport, in my opinion they will, for starters, reduce the number of team members in all team sports, a lot can be done by limiting athletics and swimming quotas, and there are also disciplines where small reductions can be done (like equestrian where teams had 4 members in Rio, but will have only 3 in Tokyo). And when we count all these small reductions the numbers could add up

Well, they are obligated to drop one, and then hold an election for that spot as a core sport.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Here’s my thoughts based on @Vojthas analysis.

The wishes from WSF has been known for more than a year. Why should they suddenly take Laser out (they've signed a contract for 2024, by the way making it even less likely). That would mean cutting the most universal class. That would also mean breaking their own regulations, I believe.

In athletics, I would see discus as one of the most likely cuts as well if that's where it ends up.

10 hours ago, Vojthas said:

I can bet (though it's guess only) that UIPM tries once more with the mixed relay.

On the other hand - I guess fencing, tennis and badminton have no more events to be included. Adding to that all the team sports - basketball, football, volleyball, field hockey, handball, rugby - we've got eight. I don't count waterpolo as being under FINA it might mean changes in swimming and/or artistic swimming programme. Still, this means at least one of the team sports proposing changes. Beach handball, futsal or beach soccer and deleting basket 5x5 are all my first thought, hockey5s and rugby union rather not.

OK, let's see the possibilities one by one:

1. Aquatics - swimming and/or artistic swimming...team relay in open water swimming, 50m back, breast & fly in pool swimming, mixed duets in artistic swimming my picks (but no 1m diving)
  2. Athletics - it can be anything, I'm afraid...the reformed distance in race walking for sure, most likely also women's decathlon instead of eptathlon and maybe a new cross-country race (but I fear something crazy, too)
  3. Archery - compound (?)...only chance, but I don't see them going that far
  4. Badminton - nothing, I think...team events are always behind the corner (if Table Tennis has them)
  5. Basketball - deleting 5x5...no way!
  6. Boxing - weight changes again (#genderequality)...sure...but I sincerely hope they're going to get thrown out of the schedule (I'm sure there will be a lot of judging scandals in Tokyo, too to help this decision)
  7. Canoeing - any distance/boat size change...yeah, this is open to many options by playing with size and distance (but I fear it's time for a mixed gender boat, too)
  8. Cycling - changes in track programme according to the new format, maybe some team road races...I fear also new freestyle disciplines could be taken into consideration
  9. Equestrian - hopefully driving, not unmeasurable vaulting and reigning or horse-harming endurance...I think Gulf Oil Money will push Endurance into the program...
  10. Fencing - nothing more to be added, I think (although the team event known from YOG...)...it's not requested by FIE but by the IOC, but I fear they're trying to go with the senseless single overall team event instead of the 6 disciplines team events...:wall:
  11. Field hockey - Hockey 5s possible, but not likely...I agree
  12. Football - beach soccer or futsal instead of U23...beach soccer as an additional discipline...regular football is untouchable because of its popularity...
  13. Golf - mixed relay? haha, just kidding (I hope)...I hope they won't go for a change of the competition format (like the new experimental tournaments with both stroke play followed by match play for the best after the first part)
  14. Gymnastics - team trampoline, men's rhytmic (#genderequality)...Aerobics instead of Rhythmic Gymnastics is the only thing that makes sense
  15. Handball - beach handball...I hope they will never get to that
  16. Judo - weight changes...hope not...but I fear they will be asked to drop 1 weight class (I hope they will drop that senseless team event, instead...but it definitely won't happen in France)
  17. Modern pentathlon - mixed relay - this time #yesplease...I fear there's more risk for the sport to be dropped than adding new events (Laser Run in any case imho has more chances than Mixed Relays)
  18. Rowing - so many events to be in or out, including deleting of lightweight...they surely will try to cancel the Lightweights events...:facepalm: :wall:
  19. Rugby - union instead of sevens not likely due to reducing number of athletes...no changes here...15-a-side Rugby is not an option, XIII has no depth (and I think there are not even interested)
  20. Sailing - have there ever been two consecutive Olympics with the same classes? in the Eighties the lineup was almost locked up...but nowadays we already know some changes (Kiteboarding and the new Windsurfing class)
  21. Shooting - team events, more mixed events... Gene Simmons from KISS, Alice Cooper's scenic shows and music video to Michael Jackson's "Thriller"  were alltogether less scary than what can be done here...:rofl:
  22. Table tennis - men's and women's doubles...only if they drop the team events
  23. Taekwondo - weight changes...big chance to go up to 5 weight classes per gender
  24. Tennis - nothing, hopefully (separate tournament on clay and grass?)...nothing, surely (unless they try to add team events with a new Davis Cup format-alike)
  25. Triathlon - sprint distance as a second individual event - I'm in as there may be that "more events with the same athletes and infrastructure"...yeah, I also think that
  26. Volleyball - nothing, I think...Foot-Volley is behind the corner, but hopefully they won't go that far
  27. Weightlifting - weight changes (again!) or... separate event for those who do not dope (only one as I think there's very few of them)...:rofl:
  28. Wrestling - beach wrestling, grappling, pankration... or simply deleting Greco-Roman (#genderequality)...it would be a real shame/scandal...but I fear this is the only real option on the table

my 2 cents...

5 hours ago, call me matt said:

Athletics and swimming had sharp cuts from Rio to Tokyo. 

Which team sport can you cut from? Water polo received and fought back.

28 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Athletics and swimming had sharp cuts from Rio to Tokyo. 

Which team sport can you cut from? Water polo received and fought back.

To be honest, athletics and swimming both exceed their quotas by hundereds at every Games & just athletics has 1900 athletes quota allocated, which is definitely a number that could be cut (and don't get me wrong, I'm an athletics fans, but 1900 really is huge number).

In team sports if only 1 player per team would be removed, it would already make a difference (as it happened with waterpolo, but the IOC caved to FINA and their request).

I'm not saying reducing quotas is necessary, but if the IOC is going to push forward with it, they will make it like this, now with any radical decisions.