website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

20 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

And they want to add more sports! 

Plus, they want to add events that won’t require additional quotas, and that will only use existing infrastructure. This is something I support 100%, as long as we don’t go crazy with some truly outlandish relays or something. 

Apparently, 20 of the 27 IFs of Olympics sport have requested changes to their event program of events. A decision on all those proposed changes, and on the inclusion of the 4 Paris 2024 approved sports will be made in December.

Remove men events, add women events

All categories to have 8-12 athletes (1 host + all continents +2-3 extras)

Ps. If there is a Bach statue somewhere, it should be demolished for discrimination against the sport community.

29 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

And they want to add more sports! 

Plus, they want to add events that won’t require additional quotas, and that will only use existing infrastructure. This is something I support 100%, as long as we don’t go crazy with some truly outlandish relays or something. 

Apparently, 20 of the 27 IFs of Olympics sport have requested changes to their event program of events. A decision on all those proposed changes, and on the inclusion of the 4 Paris 2024 approved sports will be made in December.

Do you have more info?

22 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Do you have more info?

I can look. Some federations make their intentions public, while others wait for the suspense of the announcement.

I don’t know why the IOC doesn’t make it public knowledge what events federations are asking them to include. I feel like it would help gage interest.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

34 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I bet half of those are to add "mixed events" What a joke this is. At this rate there won't be any universality spots lol

I don’t mind the Mixed Events so long as they A) don’t require extra quotas B) Don’t have a completely comical that makes a joke out of the sport.

That is exactly how I read the statements “The IOC would wants to add events that make use athletes who have already obtained a quota, and that make use of existing infrastructure.”

I am worried about the universality of the Olympics. I mean 10,500 is just too little honestly. It’s like @Federer91 we’re going lose some more events, and we’re going to have events with 12-16 entries at best. The IOC seems convinced it’s the amount of athletes that have caused cities to lose interest, and not the rampant corruption, insane demands, or rapid changes. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I can bet (though it's guess only) that UIPM tries once more with the mixed relay.

On the other hand - I guess fencing, tennis and badminton have no more events to be included. Adding to that all the team sports - basketball, football, volleyball, field hockey, handball, rugby - we've got eight. I don't count waterpolo as being under FINA it might mean changes in swimming and/or artistic swimming programme. Still, this means at least one of the team sports proposing changes. Beach handball, futsal or beach soccer and deleting basket 5x5 are all my first thought, hockey5s and rugby union rather not.

OK, let's see the possibilities one by one:

1. Aquatics - swimming and/or artistic swimming
  2. Athletics - it can be anything, I'm afraid
  3. Archery - compound (?)
  4. Badminton - nothing, I think
  5. Basketball - deleting 5x5
  6. Boxing - weight changes again (#genderequality)
  7. Canoeing - any distance/boat size change
  8. Cycling - changes in track programme according to the new format, maybe some team road races
  9. Equestrian - hopefully driving, not unmeasurable vaulting and reigning or horse-harming endurance.
  10. Fencing - nothing more to be added, I think (although the team event known from YOG...)
  11. Field hockey - Hockey 5s possible, but not likely
  12. Football - beach soccer or futsal instead of U23
  13. Golf - mixed relay? haha, just kidding (I hope)
  14. Gymnastics - team trampoline, men's rhytmic (#genderequality)
  15. Handball - beach handball
  16. Judo - weight changes
  17. Modern pentathlon - mixed relay - this time #yesplease
  18. Rowing - so many events to be in or out, including deleting of lightweight
  19. Rugby - union instead of sevens not likely due to reducing number of athletes
  20. Sailing - have there ever been two consecutive Olympics with the same classes?
  21. Shooting - team events, more mixed events... Gene Simmons from KISS, Alice Cooper's scenic shows and music video to Michael Jackson's "Thriller"  were alltogether less scary than what can be done here
  22. Table tennis - men's and women's doubles
  23. Taekwondo - weight changes
  24. Tennis - nothing, hopefully (separate tournament on clay and grass?)
  25. Triathlon - sprint distance as a second individual event - I'm in as there may be that "more events with the same athletes and infrastructure"
  26. Volleyball - nothing, I think
  27. Weightlifting - weight changes (again!) or... separate event for those who do not dope (only one as I think there's very few of them)
  28. Wrestling - beach wrestling, grappling, pankration... or simply deleting Greco-Roman (#genderequality)

@Vojthas If I was betting man (and I am not, but if I were), I’d be putting some good money on the BWF trying to push the Mixed Team event into the Olympics.

Maybe @Griff88 has some insight/opinion here?

15 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

I can bet (though it's guess only) that UIPM tries once more with the mixed relay.

On the other hand - I guess fencing, tennis and badminton have no more events to be included. Adding to that all the team sports - basketball, football, volleyball, field hockey, handball, rugby - we've got eight. I don't count waterpolo as being under FINA it might mean changes in swimming and/or artistic swimming programme. Still, this means at least one of the team sports proposing changes. Beach handball, futsal or beach soccer and deleting basket 5x5 are all my first thought, hockey5s and rugby union rather not.

OK, let's see the possibilities one by one:

1. Aquatics - swimming and/or artistic swimming My guess: Mixed 4x100m Medley Relay, Mixed Pair, M/W 1m Springboard
  2. Athletics - it can be anything, I'm afraid If cuts have to be made, I don’t like how the 200m and Triple Jump look at the moment. 
  3. Archery - compound (?) It’s the only thing I can think of...
  4. Badminton - nothing, I think Mixed Team Event
  5. Basketball - deleting 5x5 If cuts have to be made...Maybe cut 5x5, ask for 16 teams in M/W 3x3. I just don’t see 5x5 being cut honestly.
  6. Boxing - weight changes again (#genderequality) Yep. More likely this sport will be cut entirely.
  7. Canoeing - any distance/boat size change Sprint: Mixed K-2 500m, Mixed K-4 500m, Mixed C-2 500m Slalom: Mixed C-2
  8. Cycling - changes in track programme according to the new format, maybe some team road races Mixed Team Time Trial, M/W MTB Downhill. Honestly, I could some crazy stuff like relays in MTB and BMX being proposed. Quotas will be cut for 2024 for sure.
  9. Equestrian - hopefully driving, not unmeasurable vaulting and reigning or horse-harming endurance. I think no change here. I would love driving though. This might be a sport that loses some quotas for 2024 as well.
  10. Fencing - nothing more to be added, I think (although the team event known from YOG...) Yep, definitely proposed the Mixed Team Event.
  11. Field hockey - Hockey 5s possible, but not likely This is another one that didn’t propose a change I think.
  12. Football - beach soccer or futsal instead of U23 I actually feel like FIFA didn’t propose anything. Unless, they are proposing to remove Football and replace it with either Beach Soccer or Futsal.
  13. Golf - mixed relay? haha, just kidding (I hope) Men’s Team, Women’s Team, Mixed Team Event (either based on stokes, or in a match play format).
  14. Gymnastics - team trampoline, men's rhytmic (#genderequality) Parkour, obviously. I have no clue how they’ll solve the gender disparity here.
  15. Handball - beach handball Yep.
  16. Judo - weight changes Interesting, that’s the only thing that makes sense besides Men’s Team and Women’s Team. They might try to rework the Mixed Team Event as well.
  17. Modern pentathlon - mixed relay - this time #yesplease Yep. Mixed Team should get in honestly.
  18. Rowing - so many events to be in or out, including deleting of lightweight Yep, if I had to guess, the reduction in quotas will be the end of lightweight events. I actually know what WR proposed though since they announced it. They are looking to add Beach Rowing based in Tahiti with Surfing.
  19. Rugby - union instead of sevens not likely due to reducing number of athletes Yeah, no change.
  20. Sailing - have there ever been two consecutive Olympics with the same classes? Yeah, they’ll boats as well. We know they are proposing a Mixed Off Shore event. I believe they are proposing a Mixed Team event of some sort as well. Formula Kite is probably on that list too. Finn is gone, and Laser is gone (WSF and Laser have had a big dispute lately).
  21. Shooting - team events, more mixed events... Gene Simmons from KISS, Alice Cooper's scenic shows and music video to Michael Jackson's "Thriller"  were alltogether less scary than what can be done here Lol, Mixed 50m Rifle 3 Positions, Mixed Skeet
  22. Table tennis - men's and women's doubles I don’t know. I’m sure they proposed something, but I actually have no clue. Maybe Mixed Team? 
  23. Taekwondo - weight changes Rumor has it they want to do classes by height, instead of weight. They also obviously asked for the inclusion of M/W Poomsae, and Mixed Team Poomsae.
  24. Tennis - nothing, hopefully (separate tournament on clay and grass?) Mixed Team Event
  25. Triathlon - sprint distance as a second individual event - I'm in as there may be that "more events with the same athletes and infrastructure" M/W Ironman distance. This has been rumored since Rio 2016. Sprint Distance, Aquathlon, and Duathlon are also fair bets. 
  26. Volleyball - nothing, I think I agree.
  27. Weightlifting - weight changes (again!) or... separate event for those who do not dope (only one as I think there's very few of them) Lol, Yeah, different weight classses. This sport may also be dropped entirely to reach 10,500.
  28. Wrestling - beach wrestling, grappling, pankration... or simply deleting Greco-Roman (#genderequality) I’m sure it’s the addition of Beach Wrestling or a Mixed Team Event, and with the possibility of removing Greco-Roman to make it happen.

Here’s my thoughts based on @Vojthas analysis.

Wrestling has a long history in Eastern Europe, ex-USSR and Middle East. It's gonna be extremely tough to remove it from the Olympics as it's also one of the ancient classics. There was an uproar when they tried to get rid of it already so I just don't see that happening. Thankfully wrestling is big in US high-schools and college so I don't suppose USA will push to get rid of that too much.

Golf & tennis are two sports where Olympic gold medal is worth less than a win in Major. These two sports could be easily removed and I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Women's golf being dominated by the South Koreans is another reason USA might wanna look pass it after a while. Then again, golf only got back in 2016 so I suppose it will have to stay for a while yet - unless more big names will openly ignore it like they did in Rio (zika virus was an obvious BS excuse).

Taekwondo already asked for a mixed team event for the 2020 Tokyo, actually there was supposed to be a team event as demonstration or exhibition event in Tokyo. they even had qualifiers for that.

I assume they will ask for that again.

can't IOC stop adding nonsense events like 3x3 basketball or BMX freestyle instead of dropping something else ? :facepalm: I wonder how many other smart idea Bach has. :wall: