website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

Just now, Gianlu33 said:

Karate is officially dropped by Paris 2024 Olympic Comitee

Too bad for the athletes, but I still find it an excellent decision. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

I find it ridiculous. Makes it feel like having it as a demonstration sport only for 2020...

Also, to think squash was never considered. They will never make it.

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

21 minutes ago, Quasit said:

I find it ridiculous. Makes it feel like having it as a demonstration sport only for 2020...

Also, to think squash was never considered. They will never make it.

It was added to make the hosts happy. Really doesn't matter if you call it a demonstration sport or not.

#banbestmen

There's a strong rumor that the IOC and the organizing committee would consider the reintroduction of karate if the World Karate Federation changed a few rules, there's hope because they are already thinking about:

- introducing of an age limit (max. 13 years old);

- officially calling the participants k-boys and k-girls, and allow them to use a stage name;

- eliminating any kind of scoring system. The winner will be the k-kid with more Instagram followers but he/she will not be told before in order to have a genuine reaction during the announcement;

- disqualifying anyone who is wearing a karategi of the right size.

Karate is more than Japan. WKF has about ten million members and 191 countries are affiliated. It's certainly popular enough to have stayed in the programme for longer.

On a side note, I want Japan to win lots of medals, with or without karate. :p

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

38 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Honestly, as much as it sucks for the athletes... I’m extremely glad kumite isn’t sticking around. I tried watching it multiple times and I never got the appeal at all. Kata is at least somewhat unique.

33 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Karate is better than taekwondo, let alone all the other new pseudo-sports they are introducing. Joke events to satisfy the hosts is the way we are going.

Sport Climbing is 3,000 times better than both, and I much prefer taekwondo to karate.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela