website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

lol we are going to end up with like 5 entries per event at this rate. More sports in the same quota = less athletes competing per event. Stupid idea.

If you are going to add sports, increase the quota. If you do not want to do that, don't add anything.

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

lol we are going to end up with like 5 entries per event at this rate. More sports in the same quota = less athletes competing per event. Stupid idea.

If you are going to add sports, increase the quota. If you do not want to do that, don't add anything.

Ha! That sounds way too rational and logical for the IOC.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

That’s why I think It should be up to continental olympic bodies to host Olympics on their continents

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I do not really like this thing about changing the program every Olympics.

And some sports are unnecessary. In Brazil 99% do not know most of these sports, I can imagine worldwide. 

And we will never know, sports are put up for some reason and when they leave no one at least knew it was there.

23 minuti fa, hoversaBR ha scritto:

And some sports are unnecessary. In Brazil 99% do not know most of these sports, I can imagine worldwide. 

And we will never know, sports are put up for some reason and when they leave no one at least knew it was there.

the problem is that those sports are different from Country to Country...

and not only in terms of popularity, but also in terms of chances to win some medals (and sometimes those 2 things are also in contrast between themselves)...

so, most likely it would end up in a political battle between powerhouses to protect their own interests and most small Countries would lose their very few chances to get on the world stage once every 4 years...

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

That’s why I think It should be up to continental olympic bodies to host Olympics on their continents

Meh. At least when it's in one or possibly two nations, there's the "these are our Olympics" feeling. Nobody from say France is gonna think "cool, an athlete from Moldova, let's cheer for them because same continent!!" :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Lima 2019 increased its total quota by 600+ and their budget is about half of Toronto 2015. Ie. You do not need to have a cap on athletes, but other frivolous stuff.

I experienced both a Pan Am Games and Winter Olympics on the ground. Obviously the Winter Olympics are bigger globally, but do you really need two separate hockey venues? They could have merged it into one and had the competition across two weeks. Branding of venues was way over the top, if you cut that budget you would save so much money. 

The Summer Olympics are a totally different animal. Why is it necessary to have 7! large stadiums for soccer. All of which will need staff, volunteers, security, branding etc. Even with 4 or 5, you can have a competition where the field has enough time to recover.

I can go on and on...

Edited by intoronto

51 minutes ago, hoversaBR said:

If that would be the main criterium, we'd end up with only football (even the junior version), basketball, tennis, athletics and swimming at the Olympics :p 

hace 12 minutos, Nate River said:

Bold prediction: Paris will retain Skateboarding, Surfing and Climbing. Squash will (finally) be added. Karate will be on the bubble but is likely to also be retained.

I can't see Surfing happening if they want everything in the Paris 2024 map