website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

I'm the only one who thinks this is kind of stupid? Olympic sports should have some sort of a long term plan, no just one appearence and that's all.

2028 Olympics being in LA is going to push for baseball and surf so they are going to have them at 2020, cut in 2024 and reinstate in 2028, instead of having some kinf og programme or arrangement between the different host citys and the IOC, for the sport stability to be in all and had an stable games.....

I actually believe that demonstration sports were a better concept, one that made more sense. 

Just focus on a couple of sports that are relatively popular in the country, knowing perfectly they will not make to the olympics otherwise. (eg rink hockey and pelota during the Barcelona games)

1 hour ago, De_Gambassi said:

Karate, TWD, Judo, Wushu at the same olympics. So much fun. :nopompom:

Thankfully, I don't believe they will be chosen. Global youth appeal sounds like it will be the main critera from now on.

just for info, as far as I know the international wushu federation only thinking about adding "Taolu" events for the Olympics. not similar to any of those sports. no chance for Sanda events.

I can't see similar between Wushu (Sanda) and Karate at all. but yeah Sanda is a mixture of kickboxing and throwing techniques

but yeah that's true Wushu only exists in Asia. and Taolu in particular only in East Asia.

40 minutes ago, Jur said:

I'm the only one who thinks this is kind of stupid? Olympic sports should have some sort of a long term plan, no just one appearence and that's all.

2028 Olympics being in LA is going to push for baseball and surf so they are going to have them at 2020, cut in 2024 and reinstate in 2028, instead of having some kinf og programme or arrangement between the different host citys and the IOC, for the sport stability to be in all and had an stable games.....

nope you are not, that's a terrible terrible idea. for those IOC officials that's just one decision but for the athletes (specially in amateur sports) this is a life changing decision. there should be long term plan and we should knew 2024 Olympics sports few years ago. because sometimes people have long term plans to prepare for the Olympics.

56 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

So obviously pétanque and billiards.

Reveal hidden contents

Although, assuming it is part of the billiards bid, snooker has a massive following amongst teenagers in China.

Don't ask me why...

1 minute ago, Dragon said:

Although, assuming it is part of the billiards bid, snooker has a massive following amongst teenagers in China.

Why?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I think in general the concept that some disciplines are going to in at one Olympics, cut in the other Olympics and later reinstate again are OK. The problems is in schedule. Athletes have to know about it at least 7 years before the Olympics.

The other problem is the sport (federation) concept which IOC use. They are going to do changes only inside additional sports. But there are many disciplines in the core sports which look worse, but they are stay in because it's core sport. And any core international federation want to bring all disciplines which they have to the Olympics. So there are less space for the others.

For me will be better if IOC forget about the sport concept and will do itself list of disciplines for every Olympics. Not a problem if something will shake up if the most interesting and competitive disciplines will stay in the programme every time and if athletes will know the list maybe 7-8 years before the Olympics. But some core federations can be angry with this.