website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

2 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Gymnastics poses an interesting conundrum where they'll have to work with wrestling to keep their respective disciplines in the games or either axe the artistic apparatus events or increase the women's event to six apparatuses by adding two of PH/Rings/PB/HB, neither of which are ideal.

LOL, this is one of the funniest proposals I've seen so far.

In the early editions of the Olympics, men didn't compete on floor, and women had an extra event called portable apparatus, which is basically what group rhythmic gymnastics is nowadays. However, women did compete on the parallel bars in the past, so if this crazy idea actually turns out to be even remotely considered, I see men losing one event (floor) and women getting one extra event (parallel bars). Of course, this would only happen if FIG goes the extra mile to use the history of the sport to justify anything.

Also, I believe that in some competitions in the United States, women also performed on rings. But this idea is almost absurd nowadays.

Another proposal would be men's events being shortened, with floor and vault gone. It would be sad, but a special version of the all-around competition could happen at the Olympics with only four events... 

Just add the mens artistic swimming to Olympics and problem will be solved, at least part of :p We already had mixed duets in 2019 World Championships, so, why not? Especially when womens monobob, in case of winter games, was added to Olympics even before first official competition. Same about unknown yet mixed event in athletics, its hilarious, they are adding an event but IOC/WA doesnt even know yet what event it will be...

3 minutes ago, rybak said:

Just add the mens artistic swimming to Olympics and problem will be solved, at least part of :p We already had mixed duets in 2019 World Championships, so, why not? Especially when womens monobob, in case of winter games, was added to Olympics even before first official competition. Same about unknown yet mixed event in athletics, its hilarious, they are adding an event but IOC/WA doesnt even know yet what event it will be...

Or World Sailing trying to add a mixed Kiteboarding event... that's no sense.

2 hours ago, NearPup said:

I want to see women have to do rings and pommel horse just because it would make Gymcastic's host comically angry (she's a noted hater of rings as an apparatus).

Believe it or not, I had never heard about this podcast before you mentioned it here.

I listened to one of the episodes and their complete disdain for Max Whitlock made me roar with laughter. They claimed he deserved to be deducted in every single skill he performed in the final and I just couldn't help but laugh hard. Great people!

7 hours ago, rybak said:

Men's artistic swimming is already part of the World Series :evil:

11 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

LOL, this is one of the funniest proposals I've seen so far.

In the early editions of the Olympics, men didn't compete on floor, and women had an extra event called portable apparatus, which is basically what group rhythmic gymnastics is nowadays. However, women did compete on the parallel bars in the past, so if this crazy idea actually turns out to be even remotely considered, I see men losing one event (floor) and women getting one extra event (parallel bars). Of course, this would only happen if FIG goes the extra mile to use the history of the sport to justify anything.

Also, I believe that in some competitions in the United States, women also performed on rings. But this idea is almost absurd nowadays.

Another proposal would be men's events being shortened, with floor and vault gone. It would be sad, but a special version of the all-around competition could happen at the Olympics with only four events... 

Hopefully that's not at all realistic, because....why? Are men's floor and vault that bad? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

By the way, I see shooting doesn't only have a team trap event, but also team skeet. After a quick Google search, team skeet is not at all what I had in mind, damn :hairpull: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

By the way, I see shooting doesn't only have a team trap event, but also team skeet. After a quick Google search, team skeet is not at all what I had in mind, damn :hairpull: 

actually, mixed team skeet is going to replace mixed team trap in Paris 2024...

they're going to hold only one of the two disciplines, alternating each time (so, in 2028 mixed team trap will be back instead of mixed team skeet)...