website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

“We are very happy to receive formal approval of our three disciplines for Paris 2024 from the IOC Executive Board and also confirmation that our athlete quota remains untouched at 200”, FEI President and IOC Member Ingmar De Vos said.

“This confirmation is also a token of appreciation for the efforts the FEI and the equestrian community have made to increase the fan base and improve digital figures for our sport. We really appreciate that the IOC didn’t touch our quota as we knew they needed to reduce the overall Games-wide quota to 10,500 athletes, but our sport has grown so much over the last decade that a reduction of our quota would have been detrimental to the universality of our Olympic competitions.”

I was somewhat worried, because IOC.

But then again, FEI was awarded the best international sports federation last year, so removing places would have been a highly controversial decision. There are plenty other dumpster fire federations out there.

#banbestmen

16 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Their plans originally included Baseball/Softball. They even had venues picked out at one point. So there’s still a fair chance it’s get in 2028.

I suppose they might get a six team event but that's going to mean reductions in quota for other sports.

1 minute ago, Dragon said:

I suppose they might get a six team event but that's going to mean reductions in quota for other sports.

Depends on what the core sports program looks like then. Are Weightlifting and Boxing still on the program? If not, what has replaced them?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

12 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Depends on what the core sports program looks like then. Are Weightlifting and Boxing still on the program? If not, what has replaced them?

Still the problem with baseball is that, without MLB players, it will be the lowest quality of any Olympic sport.

How many of the top 1000 players would be there? 5, 10%?

29 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Pathetic changes all around, but this was to be expected, since this organisation has been on a downhill trajectory for 8 years.  

I think it's got much worse since Bach took over.

Rogge was a much better president

I'm kinda surprised nothing was done do Taekwondo, like going from 8 to 10 events or even a mixed team like in Judo.

Taekwondo has always been a good option for smaller/new nations to win medals.

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

8 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Can't argue with that. And yet, no one wants to replace that fool..

By the way, what did he say about Belarus?

Basically their entire NOC EB (including Lukashenko) is banned from the Olympic Games. Belarus is not allowed to bid for and host IOC events. Funding for their NOC has been cut, the IOC will make direct payments to athletes.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela