website statistics

Tennis ITF Australian Open 2021

Totallympics

13 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Very happy to see our Stefanos Tsitsipas :GRE with an easy first round win over Simon. I think he can do very well here.

Unfortunately Maria Sakkari lost to Mladenovic. I think having to quarantine for two weeks ruined her chances, but also Mladenovic is a good player.

I like Sakkari, it's a real shame she lost so early. Agree, that quarantine probably screwed a deep run. Her game gets better and better and top 10 is a possibility, she just needs to be more consistent.

17 minutes ago, rajiv said:

I have long noticed that Australia is strongly disliked by many of the people here .

I wish someone would spell out the reasons why 

This is news to me. :d  Actually Australia for such a big country gets very little discussion here. 

Though, what was said about the noisiness and racket at the Kyrgios and Kokkinakis match today is completely true. This thing wouldn't fly on the internet, if it was in a ton of other countries. We all know the long standing opinion of how bad, or tough, if you'd like, is the french crowd at RG. 

There is nothing wrong with home support, i'm actually a big supporter of it. Everyone wants their countrymen to win most of the time, but don't have double standards. 

9 hours ago, Braulio said:

Nice that a mexican (doubles) player wins a match, Santiago Gonzalez meanwhile lost in the first round with his brazilian partner :(

and news from today (thursday)

Sofia Kenin, defending champion OUT in the SECOND round of the event, lost to an incredible Kaia Kanepi (EST)

And that exit will must surely cost him another go at the Olympics, since he will lost many points as he reached QF last year :(

8 hours ago, Federer91 said:

I like Sakkari, it's a real shame she lost so early. Agree, that quarantine probably screwed a deep run. Her game gets better and better and top 10 is a possibility, she just needs to be more consistent.

Yes, I agree. She improves so much every year and works very hard.

what a crazy match between Fognini and Caruso , i just watched the replay of 5th set and that super crazy tie-break , the drama wasn't only during match but also after match with a very harsh discussion between both players ofc in Italian , so if our Italian friends translated to us this talk fight that would be appreciated :d

FULL TRANSCRIPT

Fognini: You have been f***ing lucky, you should apologise, I didn’t disrespect you until now.

Caruso: What are you talking about?

Fognini: You won four identical lucky points.

Caruso: What are you talking about?

Fognini: Can’t I say you have been lucky?

Caruso: I didn’t dare to say a single world in the whole match.

Fognini: I said something because you called for it.

Caruso: I didn’t dare to say a single world in the whole match, enough now.

Fognini: Can’t I say you have been lucky? What’s the problem?

Caruso: You can do whatever you want.

Fognini: So why are you breaking my balls now? I said you have been lucky, if I’m wrong saying it, I’m wrong. Don’t attack me.

Caruso: I didn’t attack you. I’m telling you it’s not the way to behave because I didn’t tell you a single world. Let’s say I didn’t expect that from you.

Fognini: What did you not expect? I told you you have been lucky, you didn’t like it, what should I say?

Caruso: It’s not the way to do it.

Fognini: Why? What’s the problem?

Fognini will face Australia’s Alex de Minaur in the third round.

It’s sure to be... interesting.

Another brilliant win for the Vladikavkaz giant Aslan Karatsev :bowdown: This guy has such a great story.

He has only 5 ATP wins, but has been grinding the ITF/Challenger Tour for 8 years now and this is his debut GS main draw appearance. But he first tried in Qualies already in 2014-15!! But he never made it and by 2017 was in the 700s of the rankings. Had no sponsors, had no coach and no real direction really. Then found a coach in Minsk and everything started going up. Last year went to the US to train, when the pandemic hit and in the fall dominated the first Challengers winning 18 out of 20 matches. And one of his loses was to Stan Wawrinka of all people. Going to hit the top 100 for the first time now and is one of the few that have managed to reach the 1/8 in their GS debut.