website statistics

Doping Cases and Bans 2021 Thread

Wumo

25 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Why the stepplechase ? That seems to be full of runners testing positive. 

Because you can be elite witouth a great flat time (and great technique). A female 8:45 runner can fluke a medal in the steeplechase, but in the 3000 m flat she wouldnt even be top 20.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

16 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

In swimming we won four gold medals... one of them was Adam Peaty and another a relay with Peaty in it, is he doping? And then Thomas Dean and James Guy got the 1-2 and won the relay? Are they doping? Is it that crazy to have five or six good athletes pop up when you inject an extra £30m, that wasn't showing up before?

In general: Obviously every medal winner in swimming was/is doped.

About Peaty: Are you serious? You mean to tell me that you think that a guy who is lightyears ahead of the most talented russians/chinese (countries with combined more than 30 times the population and systematic doping) is clean?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

15 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

I wonder if the German public will eventually demand to see improvements in Olympic performance. They certainly seemed a lot of hype for the golds won. 

I don't think so, german people are far less nationalistic than british/american people. I didn't really notice any hype. The biggest topics were actually Patrick Moster (the guy who used a racist slur towards riders from North Africa) and Annika Schleu + her coach for the way they treated her horse. From a sporting perspective the biggest story probably was the gold for Alexander Zverev.

6 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

In general: Obviously every medal winner in swimming was/is doped.

About Peaty: Are you serious? You mean to tell me that you think that a guy who is lightyears ahead of the most talented russians/chinese (countries with combined more than 30 times the population and systematic doping) is clean?

Yes I do think he's clean

there's no good proof he's not

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

3 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

Yes I do think he's clean

there's no good proof he's not

Obviously there is no proof, otherwise he wouldn't be allowed to compete. Common sense/a basic understanding of statistics should tell you that the probablity of him being clean at best is as big as the probability of you winning the lottery every week for the rest of your life.

5 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I don't think so, german people are far less nationalistic than british/american people. I didn't really notice any hype. The biggest topics were actually Patrick Moster (the guy who used a racist slur towards riders from North Africa) and Annika Schleu + her coach for the way they treated her horse. From a sporting perspective the biggest story probably was the gold for Alexander Zverev.

That is starting to change through- the shadow of WW2 is not going to blunt nationalism for evermore.  

33 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Surely UAE team are even richer being they state funded by an oil rich state. And Arab nations like to get sporting success by spend spend spend. 

Ineos has a budget of 50 million GBP. I doubt Team UAE has a bigger one especially that the emirates seem more invested in football and Formula 1 than cycling (which is way more expensive). The Arsenal sponsorship money would buy Ineos five times over. Yeah, the oil sheiks have the money but also know how to spend them. And cycling will never be their priority.

3 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Obviously there is no proof, otherwise he wouldn't be allowed to compete. Common sense/a basic understanding of statistics should tell you that the probablity of him being clean at best is as big as the probability of you winning the lottery every week for the rest of your live.

If Germany had a similar swimmer or athlete would the German press be outright suspicious without any even circumstantial evidence other than data. 

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

Ineos has a budget of 50 million GBP. I doubt Team UAE has a bigger one especially that the emirates seem more invested in football and Formula 1 than cycling (which is way more expensive). The Arsenal sponsorship money would buy Ineos five times over. Yeah, the oil sheiks have the money but also know how to spend them. And cycling will never be their priority.

That will surely change now they have won it twice on the trot and it’s another way to help promote their image to a section of society more educated and wealthy than a lot of football fans.